The skin is the largest organ of the human body. The skin assists in circulation and excretion but there is more to the skin than its basic functions. The skin is one of the main components of a lady’s beauty. In other words, a beautiful skin equals a desirable appearance. However, before you can achieve this beautiful skin, you need to know your skin type in order to properly care for it.
There are 5 basic skin types: normal, oily, combination, sensitive and dry skin.
1. Oily skin:This is the most common skin type. It is characterized by large pores and shine around the T-zone (the area between your brows down to the bridge of your nose then your chin) and cheeks. The ideal skin care regimen for an oily skin includes an alcohol-free cleanser, a toner containing witch hazel, a water-based moisturizer containing an SPF (sun protection factor) 15 to protect against harmful UVA and UVB rays and non-comelogenic cosmetics.
2. Normal skin:This is the perfect skin type because of its normal sized pores and elasticity. This skin always looks beautiful and requires minimal care unlike the oily, dry and combination skin types.
3. Combination skin: This skin is a combination of normal and oily skin on the face. The shine is concentrated only on the T-zone while the cheeks are normal. The same regimen for the oily skin can be applied for the combination skin.
4. Sensitive skin: This is the skin that has been affected by acne. A sensitive skin can be oily, normal or dry but it becomes sensitive as a result of being affected by acne. Sensitive skin should not be washed with soap but with cream-based cleansers containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, a toner and mild moisturizer.
5. Dry skin: This skin type is characterized by small pores and under production of oil. This skin often feels dry and flaky. A mild cleanser, a toner containing rosewater and light-weight moisturizer should be used. Cosmetics should be used sparingly.