Your Basic Guide to SGA

The spring semester, though it lacks the thrill of tailgates and football games (RIP to our winning streak), still brings new and exciting things, including the highly-anticipated promise of warmer weather and the less-anticipated student government elections. Recently, there’s been a lot of buzz about the elections at FSU, whether it’s campaign posters or a sorority’s Instagram post boasting their sister’s selection as a candidate. However, though most people are aware that there’s some sort of election, not everyone knows who, when, or why.

For some, student government is irrelevant and uninteresting. Not everyone is aspiring to be a future lawyer, judge, or president. Some of us major in English and hope that in four years there will be a high demand for well-paid journalists. Nevertheless, everyone should be educated on politics, at least to some degree. So here is a throwback to high school government class and breakdown of what Florida State’s SGA looks like and (if you’re one to overachieve) how you can get involved.

The Judicial Branch:

Think root word: judge. This is the group of students you’re going to have to stand before if you plagiarize your essays or yell obsceneties in the Union. Ok, exaggeration, but you get the point. They are called the Supreme Court. The Chief Justice, head over the Supreme Court, is appointed by the Student Body President. This branch is made up almost entirely of law students. Go figure. There’s a quote that goes, “Make three friends in life: a law student, a police officer, and a bartender.” Great advice.

The Legislative Branch:

This group of 80 students is called the Senate. There are 17 groups within the Senate organized by major. They modify, develop, and even abolish rules. They exist to represent the opinions and interests of the student body. This is great for people enraged by the ratio of red to white parking spaces and the number of tickets they obtain in one semester. That rage is called passion. Use that passion to do good. Anyone interested in becoming a Senator must fill out an application for the Supervisor of Elections office. The deadline for applications is January 20th.

And this leads us to the current elections and feature…

The Executive Branch:

This is what you’ve been seeing on social media and around campus. There are two parties: Ignite and the newly established Vitality party. Candidates apply online and then go through an interview process conducted by the Slating committee. The committee then creates a slate of their top pick for President, Vice President, and Treasurer. This year’s Ignite executive ticket is Andrew Wilson for Student Body President, followed by Laurence Thompson for VP, and Jennifer Lucas for Treasurer. Vitality’s slate includes Jean Tabares for President, Iyanna Plouis for Vice President, and Emily McGuinness for Treasurer.

The 2015 election is February 25th. Vote to make your voice heard or vote just because this is America and you can. Get involved, even if it’s to make friends a future lawyer, just in case. 

Go democracy and as always, go Noles!

Her Campus at Florida State University.