Career

Writing Your Heart Out: A Debut Author Shares Her Path to Publishing

On Oct. 29of 2019, Kelly Coon found herself finally able to say the words she’d always wanted to — “I’m a published author.” After spending years in the industry as an editor and ACT prep book writer, Coon made her debut into the world of Young Adult literature with Gravemaidens, a fantasy novel about a healer’s fight to save her sister from ancient sacrifice.  

Her Campus (HC): Before we start talking about all things books and publishing, tell us about yourself! What does an author like to do when she’s not writing?

Kelly Coon (KC): First of all, thanks for having me! 

I’m a mom to three kiddos, so a lot of my free time is spent watching them in various sport-ball events. I’ve seen more children’s basketball games than you can even fathom. But I do love watching them compete, being slightly… ahem …highly competitive myself. I played volleyball and softball in high school, and as an adult have competed in races and have even done a couple of Tough Mudders, which are 13-mile obstacle challenges.

For funsies, however, I like to hit the gym, read all the good books, have dinner with my family or friends and cook! I make a mean chicken noodle soup if chicken noodle soup can be mean. 

HC: Last year, your childhood dream of publishing a book finally came true! How or where did your big journey start? Was it easy to see that dream through to fruition? 

KC: I’ve always been a writer. As a kid, I used to write poetry as a way to escape my very strict fundamentalist environment. I also rewrote stories from the Old Testament of the Bible making the main characters female and adding a lot more blood (much to my Sunday school teachers’ annoyance). I majored in Creative Writing in undergrad and eventually earned my master’s degree in Secondary English Education. While I taught high school English, I continued to write stories and eventually wrote my first YA novel and tried to get an agent to represent it. 

It was not easy. Over the course of ten years and three novels, I was rejected by 106 different agents who clearly did not see my incredible…cough…talent. 

Courtesy: Kelly Coon and Tony Pullaro

HC: Now the question every aspiring writer wants to know the answer to: how did your book get published at a “Big Five” publisher (Penguin Random House)? 

KC: I took a step back after my third novel to actually learn what I was doing wrong with the first three. After spending six months researching novel structure, plot and characterization, I wrote Gravemaidens. I queried 11 agents and got 11 requests for the full. Within two weeks, I had two offers of representation and went with Kari Sutherland of Bradford Literary. She was an editor at Harper Teen before she became an agent and had acquired Red Queen and Pretty Little Liars, so I knew that she understood the market and could help me out! We spent six months in revisions before going on out submission to editors, so it was pretty polished by the time editors read it. I think Kari’s editorial experience really helped it shine. When Kelsey Horton at Delacorte Press offered us a deal we could not refuse, we didn’t.

HC: Speaking of your book, tell us all about Gravemaidens! What inspired you to write a story about sisters, sacrifice and healing? 

KC: I’m one of those weirdos who likes to check out graveyards. I’m always wondering who is lying beneath the headstones and what they were like when they were alive. What did they see? Who still remembers them? 

Ancient tombs are even cooler, and after reading about the historical practice of human sacrifice that took place across the globe in a variety of cultures, I was hooked. The idea of someone being willing to die for an afterlife they’ve never seen is shocking, and I wondered what would have to be promised to someone in order for them to willingly die. I wondered what it would be like to be told that it was an honor to end up in a cold tomb and to lie with a king to be his bride in the afterlife. I wondered how an older sister might feel if her little sister had been chosen for the “honor” and what she might do to save her. 

HC: Since the release of Gravemaidens this past October, what’s been the most surprising thing about being a published author? Have there been any unexpected struggles or successes?

KC: The fact that anyone wants to come and hang out with me for an evening while I talk about books shocks me. That anyone has read my words and wants to keep reading them also shocks me. I’ve been struggling a little bit with imposter syndrome—where you’re not sure you deserve your success—so any time someone tells me that my story resonated with them, I’m still kind of blown away. 

Last year, I put my words before my own physical health and sat for far too long and far too often. My creaky old back has been shouting at me about it. So, this year, I decided to take charge and bought a treadmill that fits in front of my desk and a riser for my monitor and keyboard so I can write and walk at the same time. It’s been a smashing success!

HC: How did your experiences in college influence your writing and profession? Do you have any advice for college writers trying to build their careers? 

KC: As a Creative Writing major, I spent a lot of time writing personal essays, poetry, short stories, newspaper articles and mounds of papers, of course. If it was possible to be written, I probably wrote it. So, my first piece of advice is to write your face off. 

Second, put yourself out there. I didn’t have the resources available to me that people do today with the inter-webs and all. If I were just starting out in the writing world and were trying to get my writing published, I’d start picking up freelance writing gigs online. You’re going to need some experience to get hired for writing positions, and there is a world of opportunities available online to those who are diligent enough to go find them. 

Courtesy: Kelly Coon and Tony Pullaro

Coon’s career as an author continues with Warmaidens, the anticipated sequel to Gravemaidens, which is set to release on Oct. 20 later this year.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Mia Jackson is a sophomore at Florida State double majoring in English (Editing, Writing, and Media) and Art History. She currently works as an editorial assistant, research assistant, and writing tutor. In her free time, she can be found watching Stranger Things, drinking an excess of chai lattes, and reading fantasy novels.