Fans anticipate first FSU football game of the season
Original photo by Jenna Harris
Life > Experiences

Women Belong in Sports: Let’s Talk WISA With Exec Meredith Grimm

Meredith Grimm is a junior double majoring in media/communication studies and sport management, but she is so much more than that. She is actively involved across campus as a member of the honors program, Alpha Chi Omega sorority, the Sport Management Student Association (SMSA) and is a founding member of the Women in Sports Association (WISA) at Florida State University (FSU). This week, I had the pleasure of speaking to her about WISA, her position at Seminole Productions and all things sports.

Her Campus (HC): What is WISA? What made you want to get involved?

Meredith Grimm (MG): WISA is the Women in Sports Association at FSU. It is brand new to Florida State and in its second semester of existence. I knew that joining the Executive Board of this organization would do as much for me as I wanted to do for it. I am such a proponent of women supporting other women and truly feel that WISA’s values coincide with my own so closely.

I saw this organization as an opportunity to work with others instead of against them for mutual success. Leadership is something that I value in myself and others because I think it impacts personal growth so closely. WISA is really special to me because there are not many spaces in my life where I feel completely supported by other women, and this stands out as somewhere where I feel very authentic and unafraid to express who I am.

HC: What is WISA’s mission?

MG: Our mission is “to create a supportive community for women interested in sports where members can expand their network, develop mentorship opportunities, empower women and educate all involved.” My personal goal as a member of this executive board is to help women feel like the most authentic version of themself while pursuing their interest in sports and to make them feel safe and comfortable around other women.

HC: You are also a member of SMSA. Can you tell me about your experiences with the organization?

MG: I’ve really enjoyed my experiences at SMSA, and I feel it has already helped me in terms of networking and developing a sense of professionalism in the sports industry. I have gotten the opportunity to hear and meet some incredible speakers in all sectors of athletics and feel like I have a much more well-rounded perspective on sports as a whole.

I’ve made a lot of friends with individuals like myself that want to pursue something in this field that I know will eventually pay off in the future because we will be able to help each other. I was fortunate enough to be chosen to attend the 2022 Men’s Final Four in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the 2022 Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. On these trips, we as students were able to attend networking events and meet professionals as well as gain volunteer experience in hospitality and fan engagement sectors which is something that I would not ordinarily pursue, but I’m glad that I got to participate in.

HC: What is it like working with Seminole Productions?

MG: There is never a dull moment at SemPro! It is so much fun to be surrounded by so many people that are passionate about the same thing that I am and share the same drive to produce professional work. I’m really grateful that Florida State allows its students to get involved with such a legitimate operation that sets the industry standard.

Seminole Productions has given me a lot of role models and the ability to recognize my own shortcomings to know where I need to improve. I look forward to every game broadcast that I get to be a part of, whether that be in-game entertainment or a network broadcast, because I know it is a valuable experience, and I would not have it any other way. It’s just a great community of people, and I am very fortunate to have found it here at FSU.

HC: Do you have any advice for girls looking to get involved in sports, whether it be here at FSU or in the future?

MG: The best advice I could give to a woman wanting to pursue a career in sports would be to just do it. So often women tend to overthink because it’s who we are, and all of this overthinking can prevent you from actually acting on what you are passionate about. If you know this is something you want to do, what is holding you back? The best opportunities I’ve had occurred at times when I was not afraid to put myself out there, and once you realize that the ball’s in your court, you are unstoppable! You should always be your biggest advocate, especially in an extremely male-dominated industry. And of course, never be afraid to ask for help.

HC: Tell me about your future aspirations after college. How do you think your experiences at FSU will help assist you in your future career?

MG: I want to pursue a career in sports broadcasting, specifically as a sideline reporter. Ideally, this would be in college football or the NFL because football is my favorite sport. I think that sports broadcasting is the perfect combination of all of my strengths and something that I just know I would succeed in. One woman I really look up to is Erin Andrews, so I’ve done a lot of research about her past and what she has done to get where she is, and I’m trying to emulate that in my own life.

Aside from career-specific goals, I want to be able to be a mentor for other women in my place. I want to do everything I can to get myself a seat at the table and bring as many women as I can with me. I know that success in this industry takes a lot of hard work and long hours, but that does not intimidate me in the slightest because my passion completely overrides any skepticism or fear.

I can already tell that FSU has prepared me well for the future. One thing that I love about this university, especially in the athletic department, is how accessible it is to current students. There are so many opportunities for students like myself to get involved, get real experience and begin networking while I’m still in college. [These opportunities] have made me much more confident in my abilities knowing that I will have all of this time at Florida State to continue able to perfect them.

I hope to see Meredith on the sidelines! If you’re looking to get involved with WISA, you can follow them on Instagram, @wisaatfsu, for updates on when their next GBM will be.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

a senior at Florida State University majoring in Sport Management. she loves watching movies, listening to music, and binge-watching theme park vlogs. on Sunday mornings, you can find her watching the latest Formula 1 race.