The holiday season is officially here! String lights are placed on the tree, you’re taking cute pictures drinking hot chocolate from your favorite mug and you’re even jamming out to the Christmas playlists on Spotify. Everything’s perfect except for one thing: your hair.

Winter can be a harsh time for some of us curly folks. Low temperatures may cause dryness for our hair. It’s something that I’ve struggled with since I started my natural hair journey about 3 years ago. Luckily, I’ve found a couple of methods that have worked for me. I also asked Ana Perez, a natural hair advocate and founder of blog Jaji, Yo Hair!, for some of her tips.

Courtesy: Ana Perez

Hydrate Your Curls

The first thing you need to focus on is hydration, something our hair thrives on. For my hair, type 2C/3A, I usually deep condition once a week. When the weather begins to drop, I change my deep conditioning routine to twice a week. This keeps my hair smooth and silky all winter long. I usually use Pure by Made Beautiful’s Detox Masque, which I absolutely love because it keeps my hair so nice and moisturized. I recently started using Eden Bodyworks’ JOJOBA Monoi Deep Conditioner after reading good reviews on the brand. I’ve used it about three times so far and it’s been working really well. Ana, type 3B/3C, recommends using moisture-based deep conditioners on a weekly basis. Protein deep conditioners are also encouraged to keep your hair “alive.” “But you can’t use too much protein deep conditioners in a month,” explains Ana, “it can give your hair too much weight. Use moisture based deep conditioners multiple times.”

Use Natural Oils

Shampooing tends to strip away moisture. Before going into the shower, make sure to put some oil on your scalp. The oil gives your hair an extra layer of protection, which makes the shampoo strip away a little less moisture. You can do this an hour before the shower or leave it overnight and wash it the very next day. I sometimes use tea tree oil and massage it into my scalp. Ana recommends using lighter-based oils for type 3 curls like tea tree and almond oil and using thicker oils like castor and grapeseed oil for type 4 curls. You can even combine oils with your deep conditioner for extra protection.

Diffuse

I know that you’ve probably read about it in every article and see every curly guru do it on YouTube, but make sure to diffuse so that your curls remain intact all day. I don’t diffuse every time I wash my hair. I sometimes start my day at the gym and wash my hair afterward. I absolutely refuse to step outside in 40-degree weather with my hair even the least bit wet. I apply my regular cream, Shea Moisture’s Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie and a bit of heat protectant, and then I begin to diffuse. If you find yourself diffusing a lot, make sure you’re keeping up with your deep conditioning routine.

Hopefully, these tips help your gorgeous hair during this time of the year. Make sure to check out Ana’s blog, follow her on Instagram and subscribe to her YouTube channel.

If you have any suggestions or tips to add, feel free to leave a comment or send a message.

Carelyn is a student at Florida State University. She's double majoring in Editing, Writing, Media and Humanities. Carelyn loves pastel colors, thought-provoking books, and exploring the beautiful world.  
Her Campus at Florida State University.