Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why You Should Stay Single During the Holiday Season

As you all may know, hot girl summer is out and Christian girl autumn is in. When the weather starts to drop to ungodly temperatures, leaves start falling and hot cocoa and pumpkin spice pop up almost everywhere, the only thing that seems to make this time more “perfect” is the cute Pinterest type relationships that allow you to just snuggle and wait for Santa to come. . . or 2020 to end. However you’re spending the last few months of the year, there’s no denying that this is the prime time for companies and social media to market off relationships. Which of course can lead to you thinking about finding someone quick to spend the holidays or at least the weekends with. As tempting as that all may seem, hear me out for a minute. What if you were to just stay single? It could be fun! If that’s not convincing enough for you, let me give you three great reasons why you should be single this time of year. 

1. Boys? Ew, As If!

Treat yo self gif
Giphy
I mean, for real, who needs them? I don’t know about y’all, but I’d rather focus on myself during these times than stress myself out looking for a hallmark hometown country boy to come sweep me off my feet for a few months. I know the whole “love yourself first” speech can be kind of overplayed and seem cliché, but you have to admit there is some truth to it. This is the perfect time to put yourself first and as my favorite Parks and Rec characters say, “Treat yo self.” My advice to you is to do the things you love doing or find something new to occupy your time. Some great examples are to go shopping, go for a nature walk, try journaling or simply just treat yo self to some ice cream and a Halloween movie.

2. FREEDOM!

This is probably my favorite reason to be single. Having all the freedom in the world to just do your own thing is truly a gift. Don’t get me wrong, being in a relationship has its perks and if you’re in a relationship and you’re this far into the article…um, I assume you’ve got some decision making to do. So let me help you out. Dump them, for real. Just do it. Think of all the freedom you’ll have! Single people can hang out with their friends all night and then fly to Ohio for no reason at all without having to console a single person. Now, I don’t know why anyone would go to Ohio, especially on a whim, but that’s the amazing part. Anyone can with all that freedom. Oh, and don’t forget that you can pop out in any type of risqué Halloween outfit you desire without any complaints!

3. More time with friends.

orange and white pumpkins on shelves
Photo by Jon Tyson from Unsplash
For my last great reason on why you should be single, let’s dive into all those fun activities that come with this time of the year. Pumpkin patches, carving pumpkins, dressing up in costumes, looking at Christmas lights, visiting Santa, counting down the end of the year and so on. Many of the same activities that only couples are seemingly allowed to enjoy. But hun, did you already forget to put yourself and your newfound freedom first and to good use? This is the perfect time to ditch the boy and put down Tinder so you can grab your best girlfriends and check everything off your holiday bucket list. Being with friends is honestly the best way to relax and enjoy these next few months. This is especially great since y’all are already comfortable with each other and having the opportunity to create new and fun traditions with the girls is always a plus. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok and Pinterest!

Mia is a sophomore student at Florida State University majoring in Criminology with the hopes of going to law school. Mia enjoys movies, music, soccer, and being with her friends and family.