Why You Should Be Watching “Sing It On”

Pop TV’s Sing It On, co-produced by John Legend and billed as “the real-life Pitch Perfect,” is a reality series that follows five collegiate-level a cappella teams as they compete for a spot at the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA). Picking up where Glee left off and nipping at the heels of the mega-successful Pitch Perfect movies, Sing It On brings cutthroat competition and catchy tunes together in what has clearly become a winning formula.

Two of the teams that the show follows, the co-ed All Night Yahtzee and the all-girl AcaBelles, are from right here at Florida State University. If that alone isn’t reason enough, read on to find out why you should be watching Sing It On.

Courtesy: Pop TV

Two Teams, One University

Two of the five groups featured on the show, All Night Yahtzee and The AcaBelles, are from Florida State University. While it’s no secret that FSU is bursting at the seams with talent, these two teams impress with powerhouse vocals and personality. The dynamic between the sometimes-enemies-sometimes-friends-with-each-other teams might be one of the most interesting aspects of the show; the two teams split their time between being competitors and outright rivals onstage and participating in carefree scavenger hunts across campus together in their downtime.

Authentic Talent

The talent featured on Sing It On is not only impressive, it’s real. The powerhouse vocals, unique arrangements and fun choreography seem like something straight out of Glee. Unlike Glee, however, the viewers are able to get a behind-the-scenes glimpse of just how hard the a cappella groups work. Hours of rehearsal, warm-ups and cutthroat auditions for solos are as much a part of Sing It On as the show-stopping performances. Even in non-competition settings, like Karaoke Night and ‘Aca-parties,’ the talented a cappella singers get the chance to show off.

It’s Completely Compelling

On Sing It On, the drama is as real as the talent. Since the show isn’t scripted, the viewers (and the performers) don’t actually know if the teams will actually make it to the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella or even to semi-finals. When soloist Micah frets that her team won’t move past quarterfinals, you fret along with her. There’s real weight behind the team tensions, since the wrong song choice or out-of-step choreography could lose points from the judges. And while the show is largely unserious, there are several poignant moments that keep the show grounded.

Bonus: all of season one is available on Netflix, so it’s perfect for binge watching!

It’s Fun!

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, Sing It On is unfettered, guiltless fun from the get-go. From silly warm-up montages involving jumping jacks to a cappella puns delivered without a trace of irony to Britney Spears sing-offs, Sing It On keeps its audience smiling (and singing along!). And in an era of super serious “peak TV” like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and many more, it’s refreshing to be able to watch a show for nothing other than sheer entertainment.

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.