Why We Should All Stop Worrying About Miley Cyrus

I think we can all agree that in the past few months we’ve seen some pretty “erratic” behavior coming from the once innocent child star known as Hannah Montana. If we’re pinpointing her “decline”, respectively, I would probably say it all started with her haircut. Mind you, cutting your hair off isn’t by any means a cry for help (I stand by this because Britney Spears is and will forever be one of my biggest idols…the bald head move was merely an experiment), but it was certainly a big change to go from curly auburn locks to in-your-face platinum blonde hair shaved on one side. When I first saw her hair change –I won’t even lie – I thought she kind of rocked it. 

After the VMA disaster, the interesting visuals we got from the “Wrecking Ball” video, and the most recent risqué photo shoot with the famous Terry Richardson, I’ve seen nothing but non- stop comments (mostly angry ones) about how Miley needs to “grow up” and stop being a “sl*t”. I’ll admit, I was one of those people when all of this started, and there are still times where I hear stories about her doing something crazy and find myself shaking my head. But the more I think about it, the more I realize how my thoughts, and the rest of the world’s feelings on Miley Cyrus have literally no effect on her whatsoever. Let’s talk about some important points:

On one hand, we have to remember that Miley Cyrus is 20 years old, and has more money than most of us will likely see in a lifetime. I don’t ever recall myself grinding on a married man while waving a giant foam finger around in the air, but I won’t act like I’ve never gone a *little* off the wall (especially when I had a good paycheck) on a night out. As we’re all mature college students, I can safely assume that almost all of us have had those crazy, oh-my-God-did-that-really-happen nights (and if you say you haven’t, you’re probably lying).

On the other hand, I think this should be a giant life lesson for all of us to just quit the judgmental attitude that we all so often have (yes, I’m guilty of it too). It all seems to come with our celebrity-obsessed culture that we currently live in. If Miley wants to shake her a** on stage, so what? She clearly seems to have a great time doing it, and I know I’m not the only one who wouldn’t jump at the chance to dance with Robin Thicke for a little. When she pulls all of these insane acts, she’s doing it for a reason (in other words, she knows she’s pi**ing you off, and she likes it). Go outside, read a book, catch up on the important stuff that’s happening around the world (helloo — our government is currently shut down…that’s pretty significant if you ask me). Miley is living her life; let’s learn to live ours. 

Source: http://www.videoclipsandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/miley-cyrus.jpg

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."