Why Everyone Should Run a Half Marathon

“How do you know that someone is a runner? They’ll tell you.” Okay, I know runners have a bad rap, especially for wanting to brag about their accomplishments, but this article is not intended for gloating. Instead, its purpose is to inspire you to become a runner! This might be a long shot and I may be barking up the wrong tree but hey, it never hurts to try.

Along with runners having a bad rap, running itself has a negative connotation as well. Doing sprints at practice is a common form of punishment, making athletes form a bad opinion of running. I often hear, “I could never run, how do you do it?” But running is like anything: once you do it enough times, it gets easier and more enjoyable. The fact that running could ever possibly be enjoyable may sound weird to some non-runners, but once you build up your endurance you will eventually get a runner’s high, which is a euphoric feeling.

This past weekend, I participated in the Fort Lauderdale A1A Half Marathon, which was an experience of a lifetime. Don’t get me wrong, the race made me cry, laugh, and fall (it was quite the emotional rollercoaster), but it was worth every part of it. The course ran through downtown Fort Lauderdale at the beginning but the majority of the race took place right alongside the ocean, so the calm waves were audible for the entire race (unless the sounds of screaming fans drained out the soothing sound). I never thought I would get to the day where I finally put my efforts to the test and toughed out a half marathon, but I did it.

Courtesy: Jenna Flemons

I ran the race with three close friends from Florida State and I think this made everything more enjoyable. Training together is much better than training alone; we got to jam out to the Jonas Brothers on the ride down to the 954 and we got to run the race together since we’re at the same endurance level. The hills in Fort Lauderdale are nonexistent so we didn’t have to worry about that, and the scenery wasn’t too bad either! When I finished the race, I was so exhausted that I almost fell over but my friend was right there to catch me. There was also a BUNCH of free stuff ranging from protein bars to coconut milk and even pancakes.

So what does this mean for you? If you’re crazy like me and would like to run a half marathon, trust me, you can do it! All it takes is some guts, good running shoes and fun running partners. Look up training schedules online and there are plenty of helpful guides that will tell you what to run and when to run. Another cool part is finding the right race to run. There are half and full marathons all over the country so you can really go anywhere. The last and maybe best part of running a half marathon is the brunch after you run. Nothing can beat a butt-load of pancakes and eggs after a great race!

So I challenge you to challenge yourself. If you convince yourself that you can do it, then you can. Go get ‘em!

As a rising senior at Florida State University, Jenna loves to play Ultimate Frisbee, write, run, read, edit and everything in between. She is a current Lifestyle intern at Her Campus in Boston and is currently discovering the city girl she never knew she was. She is so open to new people and experiences and is excited to see what the world has to offer. Also, dogs. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.