Life > Experiences

Why DEI: A Look Into Chi Omega’s Sisterhood Beyond Stereotypes

As one of the largest campuses in the state, there’s no denying that Florida State is big—sometimes too big. For many women at FSU, joining a sorority often helps the campus feel smaller, but for others, stereotypes behind such communities sometimes make women feel limited in their decisions.

However, Chi Omega DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) Chair Carmel Coombe and the rest of the DEI committee at Chi O are working to open doors and break barriers that previously stood closed. They are creating a more inclusive sisterhood that emphasizes not just fitting in, but belonging. To learn more about the importance of DEI in the chapter, I spoke to Carmel and one of the two DEI assistants, Kylee Smith.

Her Campus (HC): In your words, what is DEI and what does it mean to you?

Carmel Coombe (CC): DEI is about educating others about all different types of cultures and individual groups, but what we talk about a lot is inclusion. We try to focus a lot on that as a chapter, because that ties in to learning about different cultures and creates a space where members can feel included and be themselves.

Kylee Smith (KS): At the baseline, it’s meant to include all groups of people, whatever background you come from…it doesn’t matter, as long as you have an environment where you can feel included. That’s our whole goal.

HC: Why is DEI important in the Panhellenic community or Greek Life in general?

CC: It’s a big stereotype that you have to be in a certain mold to fit in the Panhellenic community. Even just growing up in different communities and not having family in Greek life is like, is this for me? Which is why DEI is important in our community—because it is for everyone. Everyone can and should be in a sorority if they want to be.

KS: We want to make sure that Panhellenic is an accepting community. You have people who haven’t gone into IFC and Panhellenic communities who feel like outsiders—I know a lot of people who are like, “I would love to join this community, but I can’t afford it, I’m worried I won’t feel accepted. DEI reinforces those ideas that you can and will fit in.

HC: How has the presence of DEI in historically conservative communities opened doors for individuals that may have not previously considered these communities before?

CC: Everything that we do—having DEI events, talking about DEI at chapter, posting about DEI on our social media—the more we do to talk about it, the more that people are going to be like, “yes, there has been this history, but we want people to join our community and learn about it.The more that we talk and learn about DEI, the more people can see themselves in our community. The more transparent we are, the more people can understand.

KS: When you think of the typical sorority, you think of Bama Rush. Everyone’s got their Louis Vuittonbags and everyone’s got their Golden Goose shoes, and it’s not feasible to be like that, but that’s what you see online. Going in, I was like, I don’t have any new dresses, I don’t have any new shoes, and I think that was really scary for me. But when I was looking at more of the DEI resources and how inclusive Panhellenic is striving to become, I felt more connected.

The inclusion of DEI in the Panhellenic community is a big step that many chapters are taking, but there’s no doubt that Chi O’s DEI team is focused on starting conversations and making spaces for everyone—no matter what it takes.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! My name is Emmy, and I'm an English major in my freshman year here at Florida State. I'm an active member of Chi Omega, and I love all things involving literature, history, film, and Taylor Swift.