We all have been there. We’ve had those days when everything seems to be too much and we have no choice but to get frustrated, angry or even upset. Dealing with negative emotions such as anger, frustration, disappointment and even jealousy can be hard to manage, especially since we hardly ever confront those feelings but choose to bury them instead. We never really give each other advice or hold space for one another to talk about these things. Instead, we shut them down. There’s often this push to be happy and think positively, but sometimes that just isn’t enough. The world is too complex to be happy and optimistic all the time. As a sensitive person, I feel all my emotions all the time. That is not easy, especially since people are quick to say that you’re overreacting. There comes a point where we have to tell each other it’s okay to feel the way we’re feeling. We have to sit in it to truly “get over it.”

Our lives are stressful and we all have bad days. Therefore, negative emotions are okay. In fact, I would be more concerned about someone who is happy all the time. Emotions are just that: emotions. They fluctuate. Feelings change all the time, so why should they be classified as negative as if those feelings are not natural or valid? Anger and pain aren’t going to go away because you choose to ignore them. Feelings aren’t the issue, the issue is how we react and what we choose to do with those feelings. Ignoring your emotions makes your reactions during those times even worse. You’re frustrated and instead of acknowledging that and giving yourself a break, you ignore it until you accidentally end up taking it out on other people. 

Sad woman in Black and White
Photo by Raphael Lovaski from Unsplash

However, let’s be honest, no one wants to experience anger, bitterness or rejection. I definitely don’t want to but I have to admit that those emotions protect us. The scenarios that embarrass or hurt us change how we react and the decisions we make thereafter. It’s important that we know negative emotions are not inherently bad things. Negative emotions aid us in our survival and that’s why suppressing them can only lead to harm rather than good. Living in denial and avoiding the reality of a situation can be more harmful than whatever painful feelings are wrapped up in it. It may feel more comfortable to pull away from the hard things, but what happens in reality is that the more you distance yourself, the deeper you plunge — usually without even knowing it. People who live in a state of denial tend to experience feelings of isolation, anxiety and sadness.

Sad woman at Desk
Photo by Anh Nguyen from Unsplash
If you find yourself struggling to cope with your feelings about anything, confiding in close friends or family members is a great place to start, as well as finding a therapist you can trust. It’s okay to let yourself cry, scream or vent.  Mental Health America listed a few things you can do to help overcome or boost your mood like reading, watching a movie or even writing, which is my personal favorite. When you’re having a rough time or when someone you know needs help, remember that we should all allow ourselves and others to feel how we feel, especially in a time like this. It’s the only way we can healthily navigate life. So, the next time someone says you need to be positive, just remember it’s okay to be human instead.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Ananda York is a Floridian writer of Jamaican descent. She loves Fashion, Beauty, Social Media, and Entrepreneurship and is currently coming up with a way to combine all of those into a major.
Her Campus at Florida State University.