Whistledown’s Watchlist: What To Watch Next if You Enjoyed ‘Bridgerton’

If you are one of the 82 million viewers of Netflix’s newest original hit Bridgerton, here are some amazing series and films to hold you over until season two!

*Warnings will denote any recommendations that may not be suitable to family audiences.

Movies:

Pride and Prejudice (2005) and Emma (2020) are two classic Austen romances that are sure to appeal to fans of Bridgerton’s Regency era aesthetics. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy’s enemies to lovers trope rivals Daphne and Simon’s and the finale scene makes this film a comfort movie many return too embarrassingly frequently.

The colorful costuming and modern music of Marie Antoinette (2006)* is a lot like Bridgerton. This movie has multiple Easter eggs hidden in its iconic scenes even make rewatches super fun!

Another great Netflix original period piece is Enola Holmes (2020). The witty narration is reminiscent of Lady Whistledown and there is a mystery element for those that enjoyed guessing the identity of the society scandal spiller.

Millie Bobby Brown in Enola Holmes
Netflix
Antonement (2007)* is a classic if you are more interested in 20th century dramas. However, at this point, I think it would be important to address the elephant in the room in many period dramas: sex scenes. Episode six titled “Swish” of Bridgerton scandalized viewers for its lengthy steamy scenes, prompting many hilarious reaction videos of those that binged the series with their parents.

The Favourite (2018)* is on my watch list! A friend recommended this Academy Award Nominated film to me and I can’t wait to dive in.

TV Series:

Hulu’s The Great (2020)* combines the genres of comedy and historical drama beautifully. Elle Fanning plays Empress Catherine the Great of Russia in her journey to power with a more loose historical lens and more interest in humor and exciting costuming.

If anachronisms annoy you, Downton Abbey (2010) could be the new series for you! The elaborate costumes are museum quality—there’s a traveling exhibition showcasing these works of art—and the show is filmed in a real castle. After visiting the showcase a few years ago, I had a newfound appreciation for all the hard work that went into creating such a realistic world for the actors to jump into.

The Spanish drama series Gran Hotel (2013)* is set in the same period as Downton Abbey but with much more nudity and action that might not make it a family movie night’s pick.

My mother’s absolute favorite show, Outlander (2014)** deserves two warnings! This immensely popular series was adapted by a book series of the same name and features time travel—perfect for those of us who can’t choose simply one era for their escapist fantasies.

If sassy and shrewd Eloise was your favorite member of the Bridgerton family, then Vanity Fair (2018) is for you! Miss Sharp is very much like Eloise and Claudia Jesse (the actress who plays Eloise) is also in this series.

If your dream of attending one of Queen Charlotte’s balls, then I invite you to BBC’s Victoria (2016). The series features numerous gorgeous costume balls and masquerades and the love story between Victoria and Albert is so adorable it makes you forget they were actually cousins in real life—ew!

The series that truly cemented my love for the historical drama genre has to be Reign (2013). Although not entirely historically accurate, the dresses and boho-chic hairstyles of Mary and her ladies are honestly worth the watch.

Other great royal series include The Tudors (2007)***—I’m giving this one three warnings—and The White Queen (2013)* series and its subsequent spinoff series based on Philipa Gregory’s novels.

The endearingly quirky Lost in Austen (2008) and short-lived series Sanditon (2019)* are Austen TV series, with the latter being an adaptation of an unfinished novel of the same name.

So grab a snack, sit back and get ready to immerse yourself in an era where the only masks were at masquerades balls!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Alice Grenier is a second year english literature student at Florida State University. She is from Orlando, Florida and aspires to become a lawyer. @alice_grenier on instagram
Her Campus at Florida State University.