Where to Meet a Guy in Tallahassee

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, you might be afraid you’ll spend it alone… again. Don’t worry; you’re not the only one. That’s why Her Campus FSU has set out to find the top 8 places to meet a nice, genuine guy in Tallahassee.

1. Classes/Organizations

Class is a great place to meet a guy. First of all, you know he’s smart since he goes to Florida State and actually attends class. Secondly, since you are in the same class, you probably have some of the same interests or goals in life. It’s also easy to talk to a guy in class by asking what was covered in last week’s lecture, ask for his notes, or if you’re late, ask if the teacher took attendance or what you missed. You could also easily ask the class cutie if he’d like to study for the upcoming test or quiz together. The same could apply for being in the same organization; you’ll know you have the same interests and that he’s driven to do extracurricular activities. What’s the worst that could happen?

2.   Church/Temple

It’s hard to meet a guy our age that has the same values as us girls, but church is almost a guaranteed location to find a guy that does. Now I’m not suggesting being disrespectful and talking during service, but there are several functions churches have to get students involved, especially in Tallahassee. Join a bible study group, or sign up to go on a retreat. Go to group meditation or attend a Shabbat dinner at synagogue. Upcoming events are usually announced during or after services, so finding out more information is as easy as speaking with religious leaders, or picking up a bulletin on the way out.

3.   Sports Games

If your religion has less to do with the big man upstairs, and more to do with a stadium or arena filled with cheering fans, then a good place for you to meet a guy would be a sports event. Bring a few girlfriends and sit next to a group of guys (avoiding the drunk, obnoxious ones). By cheering for the same team, you already have something in common. FSU has awesome teams in every sport; so even if you’re not a sports fan, you’re likely have fun rooting for the Seminoles.

4.   A House Party

If you’re more of the social butterfly type, a house party might be a good place for you to meet someone special. Although they may not be the most ethical and innocent of environments, house parties are a good place to meet people because you’re likely have mutual friends. At house parties, there are the people who love attention, and then there are the ones who are just trying to chill and socialize. Your best bet would be to stick to the more low-key guys, rather than the attention-seeking, fist-pumping guy “dancing” on the pool table.

5.   Her Campus FSU Campus Cutie (http://www.hercampus.com/school/fsu/campus-cutie-chris-miyares)

Week after week, Her Campus FSU features a campus cutie for all of FSU to swoon over. We list all the essentials (their name, birthday, hometown, major, height, favorite sport, interests, favorite music, campus involvement, their perfect first date, and a picture of course). With so many easy conversation starters, it’s like a weekly freebie!

6.   Work

If you have a job, work is a great place to meet a guy. When you work with someone, you really get to know him on a different level than you would in other settings. You get a sense of his work ethic, honesty, and priorities. Also, if he is working hard to earn his own money, then you know he is responsible and doesn’t depend on his parents to pay his bills. This really only applies to college students, though. If he’s 35 and still waiting tables, it’s probably time to move on.

7.   Publix

It might sound strange, but our local grocery store is constantly packed with college students. In fact, the Publix on Ocala has even been nicknamed “Club Pub” because it is almost impossible to go without seeing tons of people you know. This is a good place to meet a guy because first of all, if he’s getting groceries, he probably cooks, which is always a plus. Take a sneaky, sneaky peek into his basket; you can tell a lot about a guy by the food he buys. It’s also really easy to start a conversation with someone at the grocery store. You could start a quick chitchat by asking him which brand of bagels he thinks tastes better. Just make sure he’s not there with his girlfriend first.

8.   The Leach (http://www.hercampus.com/school/fsu/how-stick-leach)

If you’re one of those faithful gym-goers, then the Leach might just be the best place for you to find your mate. Although you might not look your best at the gym, the fact that you like to stay in shape is already a plus to the guys at the Leach. But since some people like to concentrate or listen to their iPod while they work out, you might want to wait until after a work out to talk to a hottie.

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.