When in Florence: Your Weekly Guide to Restaurants, Shops, Culture and More

Emily Solley currently studies English Literature at Florida State University. This semester, she’s adventuring abroad to Florence, Italy to study Italian Reading and Conversation, a special topic art history class on the Florentine Renaissance and Comparative Politics: European Union. This column has two purposes. First, to share the opportunity of experiencing a different country with those of you are still in the U.S. (and hopefully convince you to study abroad yourself) and second, to share helpful information with those who are currently studying abroad. 

Croatia is not often at the top of lists of must see destinations for study abroad students. Its political struggles during the late 20th century and late entry into the EU make it a surprisingly undeveloped country despite its amazing wealth of natural wonders. That isn’t to say that Croatia has no culture or architectural wonders, but in most places in the world with a stretch of coastline marked by sparkling azure seas, human traffic clogs the natural beauty with modern buildings, litter and private property. Split certainly has all of the amenities a tourist might need, but it manages to maintain a surprisingly rugged kind of beauty, most likely thanks to its relatively late entry into international tourism.

From Italy, students can take a ferry from Ancona to Split. The ferry is relatively inexpensive depending on the time of year, and takes about ten hours to cross the Adriatic Sea between the two countries. Below you will find a view from one such ferry, showcasing the untouched feeling of the coastline.

Courtesy: Emily A. Solley

Unfortunately, our weekend in Split was just on the crest of spring, and it was too cold to enjoy any of the plentiful beaches on the surrounding islands. Nonetheless, the ferry between Split and its neighboring islands was an inexpensive and relaxing way to travel. The beauty of the Dalmatian Coast is very easily appreciated from the side of a boat.

Make sure to take a break from island hopping to pay a visit to Marjan, the park at the tip of Split’s jutting peninsula. Point yourself west from any point in the city and prepare to climb a few hills. When inside the park, you will have the choice of a winding forest path or a more direct path along the cliffs that overlook the coast. Make your way to the western tip of the coast for an unbeatable sunset.

Courtesy: Emily A. Solley

On your way home, take a break from island life to travel to what is probably the most beautiful places on earth: Krka National Park. The park looks like it was pulled straight from Lord of the Rings; which is simply to say that it was so stunning, I would not have been surprised if an elf emerged from the trees. It begins on the dock below, looking over a sparkling blue lake fed by a babbling brook.

Courtesy: Emily A. Solley

A path along a winding river will deliver you to a series of increasingly stunning waterfalls, as the Krka River tumbles over cliff after cliff. If you had been walking beside me on my hike, you would have heard me scream “HOW?” at least a dozen times. Around every bend, you will question if it is possible that anything more beautiful exists on the entire planet, only to be stunned by something a few feet ahead. You could spend a week in the park and not lack for something to gape at.

Courtesy: Emily A. Solley

It is truly a testament to mother nature that the photos from Krka are so beautiful. I left my professional camera at home, so each of these photos was taken with nothing more than an outdated iPhone. The crystal clear quality should inform your view of the surroundings; the water was like glass, the air cool and crisp. It’s not hard to understand why some of the more fantastic scenes in Game of Thrones were shot in Croatia. As a brief departure from the subject matter, certain scenes from Star Wars Episode VIII were also filmed in Croatia, so it is sure to be amazing.

Courtesy: Emily A. Solley

As a parting sentiment, consider this your introduction to the opportunities waiting in Eastern Europe. If you get the chance to study abroad in Europe, do not restrict yourself to the Western powers; do a little bit of reading on Croatia, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Hungary and Romania, and you will find that there is rich history, striking natural wonders, and deep cultural heritage awaiting you in countries that have, for the most part, just begun the process of claiming their own unique place in Europe. The Iron Curtain has fallen. Step beyond it into a world well worth exploring.

Emily is a sophomore at Florida State University majoring in English Literature.
Her Campus at Florida State University.