timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to Watch: Broad City

If you haven’t noticed, television has been undergoing a sort of revolution recently. Gone are the days of poorly written roles played by women that are pushed to the side to make room for or complement the oh-so clever and typical male lead (hello, girls are strong, independent, and hilarious – we deserve our own show). Over the past few years (thankfully) there has been an influx in quality female-driven shows written by women for women; a much needed and welcomed trend to break through in the media arena. Shows like The Mindy Project, Girls, and Orange Is the New Black are some of the forerunners that don’t shy away from portraying women in different lights. However, there is one series that not everyone is talking about.

Comedy Central’s Broad City is a cult series that, in my opinion, blows the typical notion of female-focused narratives out of the water. The show follows best friends, Ilana Wexler and Abbi Abrams, who together form what is probably the most disheveled stoner duo in New York. You may be thinking this is an overdone clichéd premise: friends trying to find their way in life in NYC, but trust me, this is no HBO “Girls” (which is still great, just don’t make the comparison).

Broad City is the unconventionally genius product of Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson, the stars of the show who are essentially playing intensified versions of themselves. It all began as a web series that depicted a truly unique friendship that was full of chaotic energy. The result was legitimately hilarious. After two years as a web series, it was time to reach a larger audience. The pair made the transition from Internet to network television with success-although they were slightly understated. Glazer and Jacobsen remain control of the creative aspects with Amy Poehler as executive producer (impressive, I know). Big names in the comedy world make an appearance including: Fred Armisen, Rachel Dratch, and Janeane Garofalo. Did I mention Hannibal Buress is a regular? Yeah, he’s a dentist with a food blog called “The Al Dente Dentist.”

This show is the best portrayal of female friendship I have come across in a long time. Ilana and Abbi, who are self-proclaimed Jewish feminists, are the kind of friends that you’ve secretly always wanted to be, but you felt like you would be crossing too many lines to be socially acceptable. They seem to be perpetually careless and find themselves in the most random situations, but always have a good time. From skyping constantly, to being each other’s wing woman: these girls have each other’s backs. Their wacky friendship is so fun to watch on screen because the chemistry is undeniable and natural. You feel the secondhand embarrassment and shock from half of the things that come out of their mouths while simultaneously wanting to experience it with them. These girls feel no shame.

Broad City is a vibrant, funny breath of fresh air. Make this the next show you binge watch, trust me, you won’t regret it. It airs Wednesday nights at 10:30pm on Comedy Central. 

FSU/Senior/Editing, Writing, and Media
Her Campus at Florida State University.