glee valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
glee valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
FOX

What To Know About Darren Criss Before He Comes to FSU

It’s no secret that I’m a big Gleek. Glee was a TV show that ran from 2009 to 2015 and featured hundreds of song covers in amazing musical numbers and even better drama. Darren Criss, who played Blaine Anderson on the show, arrived in Season 2 and was an instant sensation. A combination of Criss’ boy-next-door look and perfect singing voice drew audiences to him. His character Blaine brought many iconic moments to the show, from constantly serenading Kurt, to debating his sexuality, to even having a short fling with Rachel.

It’s now been eight years since the last episode of Glee aired, but Criss hasn’t stopped there. He has tackled projects from voicing animated characters in children’s TV shows to guest star appearances on American Crime Story and The Flash, small roles in various movies, and playing the lead in multiple Broadway musicals. Before Glee, Criss was a part of Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” music video and founded the theater company StarKid Productions while he was a student at the University of Michigan. Criss graduated from the university with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2009.

Fast forward to today, Oct. 13: our favorite Warbler is visiting Florida State University (FSU)! So, in preparation for the event, I present a brief timeline of Darren Criss’ career to get you extra excited for his Tallahassee appearance.

StarKid Productions

In 2009, Criss and some of his University of Michigan friends created A Very Potter Musical, a parody based on the Harry Potter novels, and uploaded it to YouTube. A Very Potter Musical went viral, and thus StarKid Productions was formed. The theater company continues to produce musical comedies, which has resulted in No. 1 Billboard albums, guest star live performances, and nationwide tours. You can get tickets to see one of their holiday shows in Chicago through their website now!

blaine anderson on Glee

You know him, you love him, you might want to be him. Darren Criss is the iconic actor behind Glee’s Blaine Anderson, the Warbler that stole Kurt and the audience’s hearts. Even though Criss himself identifies as straight, he brought a level of inclusion and representation to American television through his portrayal of a gay man that did not fall into traditional stereotypes. Criss became a recurring character in Season 3 and stayed until the final season in 2015. He also won an Emmy for his original song “This Time” in Season 6.

Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)” music video

Katy Perry’s single “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts and features Darren Criss within the first few seconds of the video. In the video, Criss can be seen thanking a nerdy “Kathy” for an amazing party the night before. Kevin McHale, Criss’ Glee co-star, is also featured. In addition to starring in the music video, Criss famously covered Perry’s song “Teenage Dream” while on Glee.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

The second installment of the limited series American Crime Story details the real-life events of the killing of Gianni Versace, the designer behind the luxury brand Versace. Criss plays his assassin, Andrew Cunanan, a spree killer and sociopath. Criss won an Emmy for Best Lead Actor in a Limited Series for his portrayal of Cunanan. His portrayal gives audiences an inside into Cunanan’s mind, a man who once had so much potential but whose battle with his sexuality and need for wealth led him to crime. You can watch the series on Amazon Prime Video.

broadway

Darren Criss is no stranger to the Broadway stage. Playbill reports that he has been a part of the opening cast for two productions and the replacement for two more. Criss played Freddie Trumper in the musical Chess in 2022, in which American and Russian chess opponents battle it out in chess and in real life for the same woman. Criss also played Bobby in American Buffalo, which opened in April 2022. In American Buffalo, three criminals plan to steal an expensive coin collection. Lastly, Criss also starred in Hedwig and the Angry Inch in 2015 and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in 2012 as a replacement for Daniel Radcliffe.

Club Downunder will present “An Evening with Darren Criss” in the Union Ballroom at 7 p.m. on Oct. 13.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Kara and I am a Retail Entrepreneurship major from Tampa, Florida! I love traveling, going to concerts, coffee runs, and film cameras!