Popcorn
Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon
Culture > News

What Movies and Shows to Expect in the Next Few Years

The month of April is filled with new releases of various movies and TV shows, including Avengers: Endgame and the series finale of Game of Thrones. While it’ll be hard to beat this year’s round of movies and shows, a new line of movies has taken the Internet by storm in the past week. 

On Tuesday, April 9, Sony Pictures announced that a new modern version of the beloved fairytale “Cinderella” will be reprised with singer-songwriter Camila Cabello. While the story of Cinderella remains a classic fairytale, the story has had many modern takes in the past. Hilary Duff starred in the 2004 A Cinderella Story and Selena Gomez starred in the 2008 Another Cinderella Story, both capturing a large audience of viewers. 

While some loved the idea of Camila playing Cinderella – especially after her princess look at the 2018 Brits, according to Buzzfeed – others took to Twitter to point out that there was a Cinderella Story back in 2015 with Lily James and are not looking forward to another Cinderella repeat. 

Another fan favorite for many generations has been given the green light to start development. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Paramount is planning on developing a Grease prequel, which will be titled, Summer Loving. The story will follow how the main characters, Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson met that summer before Sandy attended Danny’s high school in the classic Grease musical from 1978.

The original Grease musical was followed by Grease 2 in 1982 and in 2016, Fox debuted a live version of the original musical on television that starred Julianne Hough and Vanessa Hudgens. The Fox version won five Emmys, proving that the fans love the classic story still. 

Disney also has big plans with the upcoming “Disney Plus” streaming service, competing with current streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. According to Variety, Disney+ will start at $6.99 per month, which is nearly half of what Netflix is currently offering. 

disney+ on an iphone
Photo by Kon Karampelas on Unsplash
Disney+ will include fan favorites, such as Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and many more Disney brands. On Thursday, April 11, Disney announced three new arrivals to the Disney+ streaming service, which will be released on Nov. 12, 2019. The three Marvel series will be Loki, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier and WandaVision. These new Marvel shows are set to follow after the end of Avengers: Endgame with the same actors playing the lead roles, including Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye.

While Netflix and Hulu will still remain a large streaming service, Disney+ is a new addition to the mix that will include previous movies and shows as well as new content that will not be available on other streaming services. 

Although prequels and remakes receive criticism almost immediately, new generations will have the chance to enjoy long time favorite movies and shows in a brand new light, and even on a new streaming platform.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!​

I'm a senior double majoring in Media/Communications Studies and Editing, Writing, and Media at Florida State. I'm passionate about editing and have an unconditional love for books and fictional characters. I'm currently serving as the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at FSU chapter.
Her Campus at Florida State University.