What It’s Like to Be Married in College on Valentines Day

Courtesy: Sammie Rice

Amidst the conversations of crappy first dates and discussions on whether or not that guy in biology is finally going to ask them out, I can only be grateful that I’ll never have to worry about those types of things…and I’m still in my early twenties!

Instead, I get to smile, kick my feet back and feel at peace knowing I’m snuggled warmly in the blanket of marital bliss with my absolute best friend and soulmate (let’s move on before I make you barf).

If I don’t get at least 20 unwarranted comments about how young my husband and I are per day, I start to get worried. I got married a few months after my 22nd birthday and we both have baby faces, so I guess it’s only natural for people to be skeptical (even if they happen to be rude while doing it). The truth is that I’m happy I married my husband when I did because when I am with him I am truly home.

It feels like everyone has their own opinion, whether positive or negative, about Valentine’s Day. This year marks the second year that I’ll be observing Valentine’s Day as a married collegiette and even though experiences will range from person-to-person, I wanted to share a little bit of what that might consist of. Don’t worry, it’s entirely G-rated!

In our first few years of dating, we wanted Valentine’s Day to be an occasion where we pulled out all the stops, and I do mean ALL the stops; dressing up incredibly fancy, dinner reservations at our favorite local Italian place (Bella Bella), taking a romantic walk through the park – where he surprised me with flowers and candy – then ending the evening with a chocolate fondue dessert at The Melting Pot (which, consequently, is where we got engaged). Of course, we made sure to update Facebook all along the way.

However, as the years went by (five, to be exact), our February 14th’s became a little less flashy, but even more meaningful; less about showing the world we were in love and more about showing it to each other. Sometimes, this means getting dinner and seeing a play. Other times, it means going camping together, or ordering take-out in pajamas and cuddling up on the couch watching a movie. This year will most likely consist of slow dancing in our living room, taking a hike with our dog and maybe ending with some of our favorite video games. The fact that we are so comfortable with each other, that we know each other so well, is probably the best Valentine’s Day gift a girl could ask for. Of course, this could also be due to the fact that we are in college and essentially broke, but I digress.

To the single girls who believe that my Valentine’s Day will be boring, or to the older-aged strangers who worry that I’ve “settled” I say this: I hope your Cupid’s Day is fun and full of every type of love. As for me, whether it’s a holiday or not, I’m happy just being…home.

Her Campus at Florida State University.