Life > Academics

What Book You Should Read Based on Your FSU Major

You can always get a book recommendation based on your likes and dislikes, but can you always get one based on your major? From thriller to romance, find out what type of book and what author a person of your major might love! 

English: All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir

This is a phenomenal read. The writing is intentional, the pacing is well-timed, and overall, the characters are deeply complex. All My Rage is one of my favorite books this year. As an English major, you would know how to break down all of the little details and analyze why these things happen and what they mean for the characters.  

Political Science: Divergent by Veronica Roth

The main character, Tris, lives in a dystopian and futuristic society where people are divided into factions based on their main trait: intelligence, bravery, peacefulness, honesty, or selflessness. However, when taking the exam that places them into their most likely faction, there are some people, like Tris, who are considered divergent and unable to be placed in just one faction. Because of their divergent status, these people are considered dangerous and must be hunted and captured. Divergent follows the decision Tris has to make to stay or leave her faction, along with dealing with her life after she makes this choice.  

The new way of governance on top of the different factions in this book is very geared towards people who like politics, which is why this is a top pick for Political Science majors. Luckily, this book is a series and there are three movies to catch up with and fall in love with the story.

Philosophy: Maybe In Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid

After moving back home to California, Hannah has a decision to make on her first night out. When leaving the bar, she can go home with her best friend or with her high school ex-boyfriend, and both decisions will change her life in different ways. As you read Hannah’s concurrent futures, you’ll see that one little decision impacts her whole life.

A quick and average-length read would definitely turn out to be more philosophical than people think. As a Philosophy major, I would be excited to hear how the notions of choice and fate are present in this story.  

Editing, Writing, and Media: Normal People by Sally Rooney

First and foremost, this book has no quotation marks, which I think for this major would be a great way to test out editing. Other than that, this is a shorter read, and the way these characters interact with each other in the book versus in the television show needs more appreciation. Because this was adapted into a TV show, the interaction between writing and this form of media would be interesting! Getting through the TV show and the book could be just what your major is up for.

Nursing: Love and Other Words by Cristina Lauren

With the main character being a kindhearted doctor, this book has the type of main character a nursing major would like. Macy is kindhearted, extremely smart, and careful with her choices. The story follows a series of flashbacks versus Macy’s present-day life, becoming who she is, and her relationship with her best friend Elliot. Going back to the past while staying in the present gives you a great opportunity to try and guess what happened between them and also experience both of their character growths.  

Computer Science: SCYTHE BY NEAL SCHUSTERMAN

In this dystopian world, death no longer exists. Because of this comes the new problem of overpopulation. The solution from a higher power is to give killing abilities to the select few, the Scythes. The story begins with Rowan and Citra, two high schoolers who have been chosen as apprentices to potentially become Scythes. On their journey to learning the art of death and legal killing, they discover more about their society where regeneration exists.

As a Computer Science major, the opportunity to learn about a world ruled by powerful technology is almost too good to pass up and honestly might be a warning to those studying tech in our rapidly emerging technological world.  

Criminology:The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

This book is about a psycho-psychiatrist trying to figure out why an asylum patient committed a crime. Considering the Criminology major focuses on crime itself, I feel like you would enjoy figuring out why the patient, Alicia, killed her husband and became the silent patient (AKA someone who never speaks again). Reading about the interaction with trying to treat Alicia, understanding why she would do something like that, and understanding the nature of the crime itself could be a good way to immerse yourself in a book that describes life after a crime is committed. This story is intense, so beware. But if you enjoy psychological thrillers, consider this read a little application of the major, if you will.  

I hope you enjoyed this article about college majors and the books your major might align with! Your college major might be a part of who you are, but if it’s not, that’s okay. If you get a chance to take a look at some of these reads hopefully they make sense for you, if not your major.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest! 

Makenna is from Miami, Florida, and is currently studying Political Science. She enjoys drinking coffee and finding new coffee shops. She loves music, movies, makeup, reading, and is always open for movie recommendations!