This year I found myself perpetually stressed out by school and graduation in the spring, among many other things. I often think life is moving much too quickly and if I blink, I’m bound to just miss it. This has kind of put me in a funk as midterms, finals, job hunts and endless responsibilities tend to do. I’m then reminded of the season and immediately pulled out of my head for just a moment. This is the season to just stop and appreciate the life we get to live. I find myself asking, “What am I thankful for?” and it truly helps me to put things into perspective. My heart holds so many things that I am thankful for and I couldn’t even fathom putting it into words.

I’m thankful for two parents who support and love me no matter what and who push me to be my best self every day. I know I wouldn’t be the person I am today without them. I’m thankful for my sister who makes me laugh and cry (mostly because she makes me go to the gym with her). Even though she’s shorter than me, she’s a person I absolutely love to look up to and without her, “family” wouldn’t mean the amazing thing it means to me now. I’m thankful for my friends that help with every obstacle life throws at me and how I manage to still come out with a smile. They’re a group of people I couldn’t imagine my life without. I’m thankful for sunny days that warm my face and my toes. I’m thankful for rainstorms that remind me a fresh start never hurts. I’m thankful for the sunsets I get to chase and the sunrises I get to wake up to. I’m thankful for sand between my toes and the sounds of the ocean. I’m thankful for silly things like cows, puppy Halloween costumes and Dollar Store snacks. I’m thankful for the opportunities I have received. I’m thankful for the ability to love to my heart’s content and then some. I’m thankful for the life I have and for the people that help make it the life I love to live.

The list goes on and on and it just helps to remind us that we have a whole world at our hands that we have the amazing opportunity to live in. I wanted to do some research and ask a handful of my favorite people what they are thankful for to see what they had to say:

Courtesy: KC Country Home Accents

“Like a lot of people, I’m thankful for good health, family, steady employment, etc. But I want to be specific in my gratitude this year. I’m particularly grateful for my husband. After 26 years I’m so happy to have him to grow old with; someone I still intensely like and admire after all this time. Someone who can still make me weak in the knees when he grins at me. Someone who gets me and loves me despite my faults and idiosyncrasies. He’s my best friend and I’m beyond giddy that he’s mine.”

-Harriet Sespico

“I am thankful to have the opportunity to get an education! Because I am a nerd. I’m also thankful for wine and warm sheets fresh out of the dryer.”

-Hanna Eugenio

“I’m thankful for football and my dog Rudy!”

-Ariel Forloines

“I’m thankful for the countless blessings surrounding me at all times. From having a genuine support system, good health, the ability to attend a university and learn each day, and just having the opportunity to grow emotionally and mentally every moment. It’s amazing how many things show up to be thankful for when you recognize the power of gratitude.”

-Danielle Onafraychuk

“When I’m asked the question, ‘What are you thankful for?’ My mind begins to get overwhelmed by the number of things I have to be thankful for. I’m thankful for wonderful friends, some that I’ve known a lifetime and some that I’ve met just this year; that know how to love and support me well. I’m thankful I get the opportunity to attend an amazing college and live in an amazing town where I get to study what I am passionate about. I’m thankful for a full-time job where I actually get to work with my best friends and my bosses are some of the kindest and most caring people to work for. I’m thankful for a family that accepts my faults and likes to have fun. I’m thankful for people who have patience and pour out joy. I’m thankful for learning and the growth that comes with it. And mostly I’m just thankful that I get to live this life to the fullest.”

-Tori Kramer

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It’s what turns a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.”

-Melody Beattie

“From day to day we are put through so many things that can cause stress and we forget to think about all the things to be grateful for when what seems like a huge thing is actually very minute. Something as simple as water that we take advantage of and we don’t truly appreciate how easy it is to obtain when other people in other countries have to travel hours, or even days to get to a fresh water source. When we look out of our bubble we have so many things. I am grateful for my freedom and to have this amazing military with men and women who fight for us. I truly value and am grateful for my family. Without my family, I’d be lost. Even though we are a little dysfunctional and maybe a little crazy, I couldn’t imagine a life without them. The last thing I’m grateful for is the ability to love. I myself am trying to live a life full of love. ”

-Rachel Wilsey

“I’m thankful for my wonderful family, incredibly supportive friends and a fulfilling job. My coworkers, family and closest friends have been my support system throughout a tumultuous year. I can’t imagine not having them by my side.”

-Lauren Thompson

“This year like every year, I am thankful for my friends and family. I am also thankful for the time of year because no matter what is going on in my life, I am my happiest during this time. I am thankful for the lessons I’ve learned and the support I’ve gotten from my amazing friends and family. I am thankful for the woman I’ve become.”

-Olivia Nahas

“On top of being thankful for my friends and family like (hopefully) most people are, I’m especially grateful to have so many opportunities made available to me that allow me to become the best version of myself. I can go to school, I can pursue my interests, and I can post about my political views online. These are things that aren’t guaranteed in every country and I am thankful every day that I was born into the life that I live.”

-Emily Thompson

“Thankful for Rosalyn Wilsey. Some of you may know her as the author of this article, but if you ever need your entire room filled with balloons on Valentine’s Day with hilarious notes inside them, this is your girl. No, but honestly she should start a business because it was the best Valentine’s Day yet (sorry boyfriend you got some work to do.)”

-Lindsey Hershey

“I am thankful for: my family, my sane mind, my able body, my friends, my opportunities, hugs, the ocean, the crunch of fallen leaves when you step on them, the smell of rain, fuzzy socks, the feeling you get when you sprint the last few feet of your run, hearing people laugh, manicures, sweatshirts, live music, going to the movies, listening to your favorite song in really good headphones, dancing, and the comfort you have when you’re with your best friend.”

-Emma Brady

“I am thankful for my wild friendships, my family, being able to have an outlet through music, and just life in general, even though it can be difficult at times!”

-Destin Schwartz

“I’d say family (including those we choose, i.e. friends) and education. Education equals opportunity and the ability to make a difference.”

-Robin Wilsey

“Anyone who knows me knows this year has been a difficult one for sure both physically and emotionally, but my experiences have shown me how unbelievably lucky I have been to have incredible people in my life to help me through these times and it’s pushed me to focus on everything amazing I have in my life. Firstly, I’m thankful for my wonderful relationship with my parents, who are my role models and best friends. Without them, I wouldn’t be the person I am today and I can’t thank them enough for having my back through literally anything. I’m thankful for my puppy Fritz who can make me smile no matter what mood I’m in and is always there to greet me with kisses when I go home to Connecticut. I’m thankful for my amazing friends who I can always go to if I want to laugh until I cry or cry until I laugh and who accept my extra-ness 24/7. I’m thankful for everyone that makes up my support system I have at FSU and makes living 1,200 miles away from home a little less difficult. I’m thankful for all the love that surrounds me in my life. I’m thankful for my hoop earrings collection. I’m thankful for stick-on nails that prevent me from spending $50 at a nail salon and instead are seven dollars at your local CVS (seriously go get some they’re a game changer #notsponsored). I’m thankful for snowstorms and cozy winter days. I’m thankful for the valleys in my life that make me appreciate the peaks. I’m thankful for waking up every day and having a fresh start. I am thankful for the life I live and for the people that make it as amazing as it is.”

-Courtney Vega

“I’m thankful for all of my professors, my friends and the students I teach! I’m also thankful for time off to celebrate holidays, so that way we can spend time with our families. I’m thankful for my job and amazing coworkers, and I’m thankful for my travels that I have had so far!”

-Annie Murphy 

I’m thankful for having a group of people sweet enough to take a moment out of their crazy lives and send me these sweet messages. Thank you so much to all of those who participated, my heart is so full and I am thankful for you. It is so easy to get caught up in small and frustrating moments of our lives that we forget to look at the bigger picture. We all need a reminder of what truly matters so, let me ask you, what are you thankful for?

Just one eccentric gal trying to use words to tell my story and yours!
Her Campus at Florida State University.