Style > Beauty

Westernized Beauty Standards and Their Role on College Campuses

Western beauty standards, by definition, promote European femininity, a genetic predisposition possible for few women around the world. At large state schools, like Florida State, where the women are predominantly white and “conventionally attractive,” Western beauty standards are perpetuated through collegiate culture, which encourages a naive standard of “beauty”.

These beauty standards, which dictate that women are more attractive if they have lighter skin, more symmetric facial features, big or full breasts as well as full lips and are tall and skinny with long legs. Not only have these standards added to the deceptive idea that a woman’s worth coincides directly with their physical attractiveness, but they are also blatantly unrealistic.

As depicted by statistics, a majority of women around the world want to change at least one aspect of their physical appearance. Though we see Western beauty standards everywhere, from media representation to the fashion and beauty industries, it is especially prominent on college campuses, where hookup culture and body dissatisfaction persist. Collegiate culture can dictate the way we dress, the way we form relationships and the way we perceive ourselves as women. These perceptions, no matter their physical reality, often manifest internally, in manners that may include the development of eating disorders, lowered self-esteem, body dysmorphia and anxiety or depressive disorders.

Though easier said than done, combatting Western beauty standards is a purpose that cannot simply be written away by an admittedly passionate Her Campus writer. In challenging the ideals of beauty that persevere within and are rapidly spreading throughout contemporary society, there must first be a societal change. As women, we can share our experiences with a negative self-image. As allies, we can understand the influence of media and the male gaze on women around the world. And, as college students, we can advocate for social change at our prospective universities. Because beauty standards are often societally rooted, we, as a society, have the power to fight back against them, as many have already done.

Woman with crown
Jared Subia

Individuality, in such an individualistic world, should be celebrated, especially on college campuses, where students are expected to grow and are becoming their own person. EVERY woman is beautiful, regardless of society’s expectations of her.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Grace is a junior at THE Florida State double majoring in Media Communication Studies and Editing, Writing, & Media in hopes of pursuing a career in Media Relations. She is an avid reader, writer and podcast connoisseur, loves to travel, and is a self-proclaimed master planner.
Her Campus at Florida State University.