Western World Meets Arab Artists

Many people may think that the Arab world is so different and disconnected from the Western World, that its cultures and values are so different from our own that we could not even begin to understand it. If that’s the case for you, then you may be surprised to know that even those in the Arab World are obsessed with Western icons (but I mean seriously, who isn’t?). Recently, Arab artists have been creating digital art which display popular icons wearing the cultural dress. For example, artist Mohannad Al Osaimi has created multiple pieces where he attempts to push together his conservative upbringing and his fascination with Western icons. His favorite Western icon to depict is Adele, which is totally fair, because she’s pretty awesome. Although he does also depict other icons, such as the Mona Lisa, Rhianna, Deadpool, Beyonce, and the Starbucks mermaid. He has become so successful, that people have been requesting his designs to decorate objects, and has set up a website which helps him sell merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs, and phone cases. He claims to not have a message when designing, and that his art is in no way political.

Picturing Adele in in the posture and hairstyle of Umm Kulthum, a classic music sensation across the Middle East, via Osaimi’s Instagram: mohannad9899. Visit his page here if you want to see more

An iPhone case featuring Osaimi’s piece of Beyoncé, on sale for 95.00 SAR on his website. Click here to see more merchandise featuring your favorite stars!

Another artist, Fida Al Hussan, grew up surrounded by Western pop culture, unlike Osaimi, yet wanted to create art that was close to her mother culture. Although she is more well known as a creative director of satirical music videos, her art and calligraphy has earned her 50,000 followers on Instagram. Her art portrays a white woman decorated with flags of Arab countries, Arabic letters, or oriental designs. Her inspiration is a “feeling which she wants to portray, not a message, per se”. She explains that her character is a woman because she is “mostly showing the state of mind” she is in when designing.

This is my personal favorida of Hussan’s, her message being, “Saudi women can do anything”. This is so powerful because all women have the ability to do anything. If you’d like to see more of her art, click here!

The final featured artist of this piece, is Abdallah Al Harthy, who was one of the first to imagine celebrities as Arabs in 2010. He said he was inspired by seeing pictures of celebrities who visited the region and tried to wear the shemagh (a headdress for men). He was surprised at the attraction that his art had gained, and so decided to use them for a larger cause, to depict the “good Arab”. Most often, Arab people are depicted through the lens of terrorism, as someone to be fearful or weary of. However, Harthy is trying his hardest to show the world an alternative to that stereotype, to show that beyond their cultural dress, they are just as ambitious, passionate, and human as anyone else.

This is a piece of digital art created by Al Harthy, of Leonardo Decaprio. If you’d like to see more of his art, click here.

*All photos courtesy of Mohannah Al Osaimi, Abdallah Al Harthy,and Fida Al Hussan. 

A major in Criminology with an interest in everything else
Felicity was previously the Style Editor for Her Campus Media. Felicity graduated in May of 2018 from Florida State University with a double major in Editing, Writing, & Media and Media/Communication Studies. Before joining the team full-time, Felicity was a staff writer, content editor, the managing editor, and the campus correspondent throughout her four years at the FSU chapter. She has interned with Better Homes & Gardens, Sarasota Magazine, and Sachs Media Group during her college career. In her spare time, Felicity likes to explore new coffee shops, go to any local concert, or hunt for new finds at her favorite thrift stores. Felicity was previously the Style Editor for Her Campus Media. Felicity graduated in May of 2018 from Florida State University with a double major in Editing, Writing, & Media and Media/Communication Studies. Before joining the team full-time, Felicity was a staff writer, content editor, the managing editor, and the campus correspondent throughout her four years at the FSU chapter. She has interned with Better Homes & Gardens, Sarasota Magazine, and Sachs Media Group during her college career. In her spare time, Felicity likes to explore new coffee shops, go to any local concert, or hunt for new finds at her favorite thrift stores.