We Love These 4 Projects for Promoting Positive Messages

This article does not represent the view of Her Campus FSU.

This week was a tough one: disheartening to many, a good turn of events for some (I highly encourage you to re-examine the values you hold true if that was the case for you.) I found myself seeking solace in learning the statistics of where we went wrong as a country; how we allowed a bigoted, racist, intrepid excuse for a human being to be the leader of our country. Opinions aside, this divisive time in our country creates a platform that can be used to call attention to people, labels, novels and expanding agencies that celebrate diversity. The following companies and public figures showcase continuous creative change as being the most important concept in their brand.

Straight/Curve Film:

I’ve been keeping tabs on this documentary for a few weeks now. It focuses on redefining realistic body types in the media; particularly the modeling industry. Take a look at their website and I promise you’ll feel a tad bit more uplifted than if you were perusing anti-twitter accounts, because that won’t get you anywhere.

Too Much and Not in The Mood by Durga Chew-Bose:

This collection of lyrical essays is set to be released in April, and is something I am anticipating greatly. Macmillan Publishers writes that this book, “is a beautiful and surprising exploration of what it means to be a first-generation, creative young woman working today.” I can only hope that the description holds true to the book’s contents. It could possibly be a wonderful, much needed gem that can uplift and bolster our spirits.

All Women Project:

Courtesy: All Woman Project

The All Woman Project is dedicated to celebrating every variation of womanhood, and how these identities are represented in the media. Their homepage boasts the beautiful line, “Your body shape shouldn’t define your femininity or ability as a woman!” I think this is something every woman and person with a shred of empathy should realize before critiquing each other. There is a cultural norm where we become intent on tearing each other down, and while some of this may remain valid if it is used to inform (aka attempting to discuss the problematic views against minorities, which seems to be of the majority mindset), platforms such as this can instead be used to turn attention to the companies that are promoting equality and acceptance. Plus, projects like the All Woman Project can provide a sense of comfort to those that feel torn down by this election.

Amandla Stenberg:

Take a look at her Instagram or watch one of her interviews on YouTube. This is someone who gets it; she’s beyond intelligent, she’s well-versed in every aspect of modern day personhood and she’s one heck of a writer. Go check out her most recent Instagram post and you’ll feel validated, uplifted, heartbroken and gratified all at once.

I’ve tried my best to include a range of companies, people, and projects that are working to bolster spirits and remain dedicated to enacting change in every variety; change for the better and change that enhances and values the different aspects everyone brings forth. This is just a snippet of such organizations that I’ve found in my search. Feel free to add information or any helpful links below on similar projects that are working to create an atmosphere of inclusion and connectivity.

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.