Culture > News

Viral Game “Wordle” is Acquired by New York Times

On Jan. 24, the New York Times announced they purchased the hit game Wordle for an undisclosed amount, ranging in the low seven figures. Wordle is a game in which players get six chances to guess the five-letter word of the day that has taken over the internet. The word game has curated friendly competition and a rise in games of its nature.

The game was started by a mutual love for word puzzles. Software engineer Josh Wardle was inspired by his partner’s admiration for word games, so, consequently, he created a word guessing game for the two of them to pass time in lockdown. What started as a pastime for the two of them, became a fun game for his family, and then, eventually, he decided to bring it to the public eye.

In October, the game was released to the public. A month after its release, only 90 people had played it, but two months later that number grew substantially into the 300,000s. Now, there are millions of players every day.

Wardle attributes the game’s success to its simplicity. “I think people kind of appreciate that there’s this thing online that’s just fun,” Wardle said in an interview. “It’s not trying to do anything shady with your data or your eyeballs. It’s just a game that’s fun.” The game has no ads, banners or window pop-ups, it is merely a game on a black background. The game allows players to engage with their friends through a share feature by showing how many tries it took without spoiling the word of the day.

For those who haven’t played: A green brick indicates you have a correct letter in the correct spot; a yellow brick shows you have a correct letter, but it is in the wrong location; a gray brick indicates the letter isn’t in the word at all. This array of blocks and colors has been the hot topic of many tweets and memes.

The New York Times has popular spelling games, such as Spelling Bee and their array of crossword puzzles. These games were played over 500 million times last year. Wardle’s partner, Palak Shah, is an avid player of the New York Times’s word games, sparking inspiration for the creation of Wordle. When asked about the New York Times acquisition, Wardle said the New York Times games played a big part in Wordle’s origins and the purchase feels “very natural” to him.

The New York Times’s reason for the purchase is aligned with the growing importance of word games in the company’s goal to “increase digital subscriptions to 10 million by 2025.” The company said Wordle will remain free to new and existing players in the meantime. As for how the game is played, that will initially remain the same as well.

The future of the game is uncertain, but this popular word game will continue to ignite conversations and gameplay one five-letter word at a time. What started as a gift for a partner, turned into a viral word game worth millions.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Tolley is a contributing writer under the Entertainment and Culture vertical. She covers entertainment releases, fan theories, pop culture news, and more. Aside from Her Campus, Hannah was also a member of the Florida State University (FSU) Her Campus team. During her time with the chapter, she served as a staff writer for three semesters, where she wrote biweekly pieces across campus, culture, and personal verticals. She also was a content editor for two semesters, where she led a team of 6+ writers and oversaw and edited their articles. Hannah was also an editorial intern for Her Campus during her spring and summer term of her second year in college. As an intern, she worked alongside the full-time edit team to curate timely and evergreen pieces across life, culture, career, and style verticals. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from FSU in May 2023, with a Bachelor of Science in Media/Communication Studies with a minor in English. When she's not dissecting the latest pop culture events, you can find her reading a cheesy romance novel or establishing parasocial relationships with fictional TV characters. She loves to rewatch her favorite shows (Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Friends) or spend the day going down a rabbit hole of reality dating shows.