Twenty One Pilots’ New Album Told Through Memes

Twenty One Pilots just released their fifth studio album, Trench, so after listening, learning, and loving the songs, fans are taking it into their own hands to make memes based on them. Let’s take a look at the entire album through the best memes!

Courtesy: Tumblr

1. Jumpsuit

Courtesy: Tumblr

Released as one of the first singles off the album, this headbanger was spoofed into this iconic scene from The Incredibles!

2. Levitate

When the video for this song was released as the final part of the Trench video trilogy, fans were quick to notice the similarities of Tyler being dragged in the video to the viral Zoom Challenge!

Courtesy: Gfycat 

Courtesy: Beano

3. Morph

This song is a continuation of the album’s theme of escaping tormentors with the narrator expressing his plan to morph into someone else, but besides the meaning, it’s really just a great song to listen to!

Courtesy: Tenor

4. My Blood

This song is by far one of the most magnificently funky tracks they have ever released, so of course, fans came through with a great meme to do it justice.

Courtesy: Tumblr

5. Chlorine

Tyler: “sippin’ on straight chlorine”

Me:

Courtesy: Tenor

This pretty much sums up the experience of listening to this song, but also with added headbanging followed by swaying as the song slows down towards the ending.

6. Smithereens

When you realize this song is about Jenna

Courtesy: Tenor

Fans quickly deciphered the lyrics of this song as a tribute to Tyler’s wife Jenna.

7. Neon Gravestones 

Courtesy: Imgflip

This song is one of the most emotional pieces on the album, as the lyrics discuss a culture of romanticizing celebrity suicide. Some of the lyrics include Tyler pleading to his fans if something were to ever happen to him: “Promise me this / If I lose to myself / You won’t mourn a day / And you’ll move onto someone else.” It is no surprise that fans found it hard to listen to, no matter how beautiful the song is.

8. The Hype

This 80’s sounding tune is a quick turn from the previous song, as it is one of the most fun to dance around like Tyler to.

Courtesy: Tenor

9. Nico And The Niners

As the second video released as part of the Trench video trilogy, fans were quick to make a hilarious comparison between the video and clips from episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants.

Courtesy: Pinterest

10. Cut My Lip

Listening to this song before vs after you read the lyrics

Courtesy: Imgflip

11. Bandito

Me dealing with all of my emotions after this song

Courtesy:  Tenor

12. Pet Cheetah

Tyler writing this song:

Courtesy: Youtube

Besides the fact that Tyler names his pet cheetah Jason Statham, the constant changes between genres in this song make it one of the most interesting to listen to!

13. Legend

When you realize this song is about Tyler’s grandfather

Courtesy: Tenor

Not even the upbeat sound of this song could distract from the meaning of this as a tribute to Tyler’s late grandfather.

14. Leave the City

Tyler: “they know that it’s almost over”

Us: Courtesy: Giphy

Congratulations! You made it through this emotional rollercoaster of a brilliant album! Your prize is the knowledge that you have great taste in music and memes!

Courtesy: Tenor

Listen on Spotify

Listen on Apple Music

Tyra Joseph is a graduate of Florida State University with a dual degree in Editing, Writing & Media, and Digital Media Production with minors in Information Technology and Film Studies. She began as a Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU in August 2018 and then served as a Content Editor in her final two semesters as a Nole!
Her Campus at Florida State University.