Tristen Vaughan: Outdoorsy Biochemist

Name: Tristen Vaughan

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Major: Biochemistry

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): What made you decide to major in biochemistry?

Tristen Vaughan (TV): Biochem just sounds really cool. I really like animals and nature, but I wanted to explore the smaller side of nature so to speak. It just combines two interests of mine.

HC: In an ideal world, what would you like to end up doing as a career?

TV: Wow, that’s hard. I guess I’d like to be doing research in a lab somewhere. I’d want to have an idea of something cool and new that would be interesting to look into and to know how to go about that. Basically, I’d like to be smart enough to know what I want to research and to come up with new research that can help people. I hope I can have intelligent thoughts.

HC: Since you’re an Eagle Scout and you love nature, where would you go for an ultimate vacation experience?

TV: I’d either want to go to the Canadian Rockies or spend some time in Australia and New Zealand. I love the Rockies and I love hiking. I spent five days hiking around Lake Tahoe a few years ago and that was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I’d like somewhere I can do some extreme mountain biking. Canada just has some of the most beautiful scenery out there. And obviously Australia would be awesome for similar reasons. It’s way different than anything I’ve ever seen.

HC: What do you look for in a relationship?

TV: Someone I can actually hold a conversation with. I like to rant – and I can go on for a while – so I need someone who’s not only a good listener, but also a good conversationalist. Someone I can go camping with. Definitely someone who takes care of himself and cares about his health, physically and emotionally. Maybe he can help me figure myself out. I’d also like someone who’s responsible, because I can get out of control sometimes, so it would be good to have someone to help me hold my life together.

HC: What are your favorite TV shows and movies?

TV: My favorite movie is probably Mad Max, because of the great story and stunning visuals. Then there’s the fantastic acting, soundtrack, action and aesthetic. My favorite TV show is Hannibal, which just ended. It’s a very intelligent show with incredible characters and a complicated plot.

HC: What is your hidden super power?

TV: I make woven bracelets. I wear quite a few and I make them for my friends. They take hours. People are usually pretty impressed by them. I like it because it’s creative but also methodical.

HC: Imagine you’re a super villain. What’s your plot to take over the world?

TV: I’d definitely plan in the shadows. Kind of mysterious, you know, get all my pieces in place and make sure that my plan’s sure to succeed before I let anyone find out. Then I’ll start dropping clues, so by the time the heroes put it all together it’s too late to save the world. Does that sound evil? It sounds kind of evil. Of course I’ll probably end up losing anyway, but atleast I’ll have planned well.

Emily is a sophomore at Florida State University majoring in English Literature.
Her Campus at Florida State University.