person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Top 10 Study Abroad Apps You Need to Download

Thinking about studying abroad? Bags already packed? To make the transition just a bit easier, here are the top 10 apps you need:

Citymapper

Courtesy: Citymapper

When I studied abroad in London, I lived on Citymapper. The app is available to be used in many major cities, both domestic and international and gives up-to-date information on travel times. The app displays travel times and cost of different forms of public transportation and will even track you as you’re traveling to make sure you get to the right place. I used it often for walking, finding its “blue-line” tracker much more user-friendly than equivalent of other GPS apps. 

Courtesy: Citymapper

Pack Point

Courtesy: Pack Point

Pack Point is a great app for people who often forget the “only thing they actually needed.” Pack Point is relatively simple to use and lets you pick the City, Time of Year and the Duration of Stay, in order to help you pack. That’s right – it doesn’t just hold you list and make you check off what has been taken care of, it actually helps you decide WHAT to pack based on the weather and the kinds of activities you will be partaking in. It has a pre-generated list of activities, but you can also add in your own. After you select your activities, the app generates a list of all the things you could possibly need and you check off what you want to bring.

Courtesy: Pack Point

Airbnb

Courtesy: Airbnb

We all know about Airbnb by now, but that is most likely because it is a great source to find different types of lodging that have varied price points. Use of this app should not deter anyone from using hostels (most of which are decent and you meet great people) but should be used in tandem to find the best and safest accommodation, for the right price.

Courtesy: Airbnb

XE Currency

Courtesy: XE Currency

Get your ugly cry out of the way now, because you NEED a currency app (even though you don’t want to know how much money you’re losing just being in another country). It is important to know the exchange rate in your current country in order to budget properly, especially because the rate can change daily. Just grit your teeth and download – at least the app is free.

Courtesy: XE Currency

Yelp

Courtesy: Yelp

Just like Citymapper, I was constantly on Yelp while abroad. I’m a foodie and I want to know that I am finding the best food I can in whatever area I am in. Yelp is a great way to find any type of food you’re looking for based on location, type and cost – you can also read reviews of restaurants or be linked directly to their websites to find a full menu and operating hours.

Courtesy: Yelp

Lonely Planet Guides

Courtesy: Lonely Planet Guides

I have been told, despite my addiction to Trip Advisor (another great app that I highly recommend), that Lonely Planet is far and away the best source for travel guides and inspiration. Since getting the app, I have to say I’ve been converted. The app, which is user-friendly and exceptionally beautiful in design, let’s you pick a country and then gives you categories of what to see, where to eat, stay, etc. It gives you a short history of whatever place or activity you pick, essential information including time, price, etc. and tells you what other sites that place is near so you can get the most out of any day exploring your city.

Courtesy: Lonely Planet Guides

VSCOcam

Courtesy: VSCOcam

VSCOcam may be my favorite app of all time, let alone my favorite travel app. VSCOcam is a photo editing software that has in-app purchases. There are dozens of filters but, for the most part, I just love the regular editing tools that I can use to color-correct, enhance or realign my photos to create the best product possible.

Courtesy: VSCOcam

Mint

Courtesy: Mint

Mint is a person finance and budgeting app which is a must-have for when you are studying abroad. The app can pull together all of your financial accounts into one place so it can track you spending and categorize it. It can even give you advice on where to cut down on spending. It is important to note that: YOU CANNOT TRANSFER BETWEEN ACCOUNTS WITH THIS APP. This is extremely important to know because you don’t want the possibility of someone else being able to break into your bank account. This is strictly an app made for viewing and advising your finances. There is still security on the app – you must enter a pin to use it and this helps cut down the chance of other people even viewing your financial status.

Courtesy: Mint

Google Translate

Courtesy: Google

If you are traveling to a foreign language country it is always good to learn a few key phrases before you arrive. Locals REALLY appreciate the effort. However, when trying to make more complex conversation it is best to you a translator app to help yourself along. Google translate, as most of us know and is by far the best translator app available. You or someone else can speak, take pictures of text or even draw with your fingers, to have language and characters translated.

Courtesy: Google Translate

Tripit

Courtesy: Tripit

Last, but certainly not least, we have the Tripit app. Tripit can store all of your travel plans and itineraries in one place. All you have to do is forward your confirmation emails and then they are stored on your app. You can see flights, hotels, car rentals, etc. You can sync the app with your google calendar and get direction from place to place.

Courtesy: Tripit

Whether you studying abroad or just traveling for a bit, I hope these tools the experience easier and more fun! Have the best time of your life!

Her Campus FSU Staff Writer Junior // Creative Writing & Communications Travel/Tea/Theatre Enthusiast Follow me @ShutUpSkyler
Her Campus at Florida State University.