Group projects, the bane of every college student’s existence. Misguided by a false sense of student work ethic, teachers assign group projects thinking that it will be easier and more manageable. Team work makes the dream work, right? In reality, however, it runs more along the lines of “one person works and everyone else dreams.”

There are, of course, always exceptions. There are those who have been continually blessed in the realms of academia with hardworking, consistent, and contributing group members when it comes to group projects. But for the rest of us who have not been as blessed, it typically goes like this:

Teacher announces that there is an assignment due next week.        

…and that it’s a group project.

You immediately set about looking for that one friend you have in the class to work with.

You initially had some trouble, but once you spotted them, it was all good. You’re solid and confident that this group project will be cake. Then your professor announces that each group needs a minimum of three.

Ummm, how about no? Someone politely asks to join your group and you reluctantly allow them.

One more person won’t be too bad. The added person then proceeds to invite all their friends into the group.

Your group has now doubled in size.

Sooo excited! Now that everything is settled, you try to coordinate a time to meet up and work that fits in everyone’s schedule.

A meeting time that works for everyone?! That’s a joke. When you finally do meet, the time is spent doing zero work.

When the one person who couldn’t make the meeting asks for help with their section of the assignment…

The night before your group project is due you have absolutely no idea what to do.

Cue periods of alternating between doing nothing and doing nothing. It’s presentation day of your group project.

You’re on the verge of having a conniption. It’s presentation time! Your group finally goes up and it’s readily apparent this was not practiced beforehand.

After a rough start, everything miraculously comes together. The PowerPoint is working, all the sections are completed, everyone brought their notecards and remembers their part so well the presentation resembles a synchronized dance routine.

Her Campus at Florida State University.