Life > Experiences

Four Songs I Added to My Positive Affirmations Playlist This Women’s History Month

It’s Women’s History Month! Here are my go-to songs and the incredible female artists behind them. I listen to these songs whenever I am not feeling myself or need that extra push to feel confident.

“Who Says” (2011) by Selena Gomez

There’s a funny story behind this one… I used not to be able to listen to this song when my self-esteem was low, but when I was a kid, it was on repeat. For me, this song represents growing up and how it is so easy to be confident in yourself when you are young. Then you age, and that feeling slips away from you. I didn’t notice it until I was singing along to one of my favorite songs from my childhood and realized that I didn’t mean what I was singing about. Now, this song represents something different for me and the journey I have been on with myself since I was a little girl. I have made so much progress from being the 18-year-old girl who couldn’t sing along to this song to singing along to it whenever it comes on the radio.  

Favorite lyrics: 

“It’s like a work of art 

That never gets to see the light 

Keep you beneath the stars 

Won’t let you touch the sky” 

“Sometimes” (2020) by H.E.R.

H.E.R. is one of my favorite artists, and many of her songs are on my Positive Affirmations playlist. Sometimes, I hear this song and relate to everything it’s about. This song is about things not working out and just because things didn’t work out, doesn’t mean you give up. It is a sad song that isn’t sad; It’s hopeful. Hope is what I hold onto when I need that push in a positive direction.  

Favorite lyrics:

“You can’t promise me it’ll be the same 

‘Cause sometimes change 

Sometimes, sometimes change 

Sometimes change” 

“Love Myself” (2019) by Olivia O’Brien

This song is not your classic “love myself” song. It poses the questions of “why can’t I be myself?” and “why should I care what others think when I am just myself?” I throw this song on when I am getting ready or if I am driving, and it makes me feel amazing. This song also reminds me of my little sister because she would always ask me to play this song when we were driving to school. 

Favorite lyrics: 

“People are constantly judgin’ and eyein’ 

And plottin’ and lyin’, so why am I tryin’?” 

“New Romantics” (2014) by Taylor Swift

This song puts me in a good mood because it makes me think of my friends and being young and free. In general, it is saying to have a great time and live your own life because the people that care to judge are missing out on the fun. I listen to this song while I get ready in the morning, and it gets me ready to take on the day.

Favorite lyrics: 

“The best people in life are free” 

There is nothing like a song that can change your mood. I hope you find a new female artist or a new song to add to your version of your Positive Affirmation playlist.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Is a junior at FSU studying Editing, Writing, and media!