How I’m Making the Best of My Summer Back Home

Well, it’s that time of year again—the great migration of college students back to their hometowns. Summer is here. After being seven hours away from my home for the last eight months, I am eager to go back but it also feels a little bittersweet. Tallahassee has been my home away from home for what feels like forever, and now it seems as though I must acclimate back to my old life. While my hometown may not be as exciting as the college scene, there are a few things on my summer bucket list that I plan to do to make the best of the season!

Trying New Restaurants 

I have lived in West Palm Beach, Florida for my entire life. When anyone asks me, “Where are the best places to eat?” or “What’s your favorite restaurant in the area?” I can truly never give them an answer. As a local, I think I’ve done myself a disservice by not even having a handful of food joints to list off for visitors, or even just for myself. But, this summer, that will change.

Going To The Gym

While I know this sounds very cliche, going to the gym is one of the top things on my summer itinerary. I’ve already set out plans for a membership in my local area and plan to hold myself accountable. In past summers, exercising was always on my wish list but I was never able to fully carry it out. Maybe it was my lack of motivation or my inability to stay consistent at the time. I think college has taught me a thing or two about discipline and doing what’s best for myself to feel good, physically and mentally.

Rewatching The Entire Marvel Cinematic Universe 

Now, out of everything I plan to do this summer, this feels like the longest and most out of place one. I have planned on rewatching the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) since last year but never fully got the time I needed to do so. But now that I have close to four months at home, there are no excuses. It’s game time. Most of the films are on Disney Plus. However, for some of them, primarily the Spider-Man franchise, I will have to use external sites or pay money to watch. Regardless, this is a task that I will willingly get done, beginning with Iron Man and working my way down to Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Drive

Driving is hands down one of my favorite things to do. There has always been something so therapeutic about it for me. I love the feeling of going somewhere, listening to my favorite playlist on the way and just having alone time. Whenever I drive, I just feel like a girl boss who’s getting stuff done, even if I’m simply just getting a matcha at Dunkin. Hopping in my car and just driving around my town gives me a sense of purpose and I have full intentions of continuing it into the summertime.

As we all know, summer goes by fast and most of us are not home that often anymore. With that being said, I’m going to make these next few months count and I hope to take full advantage of them for my personal goals and self-growth.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Leann Taylor is a student at Florida State University who's currently pursuing a double major in Marketing and Advertising. In her free time she loves making jewelry, taking pictures, eating anything sweet, and traveling!