This year, I attended Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) for their 30th anniversary with all my roommates. In total, there were 10 houses, five scare zones and two live shows. I had been to HHN a few years prior, but a lot was different this time around because of COVID.

There was plexiglass in front of the scare actors as you walked through the houses, and personally, I enjoyed this because I was terrified the entire time, but those who like to be scared said that this was unfortunate and made it less scary. In many scare zones, they were also following COVID protocol as they had the scare actors on top of platforms and away from on-goers. I genuinely liked all of the houses, but I preferred some to others, so without further ado, here are my top five in order of favorite to least favorite. 

Scarey: An Original Haunted house

This house was by far my favorite. It is based in the town of Carey, Ohio, where there is mysterious stuff going on all the time. The Carey house is not for the weak though. There was an endless supply of jump scares and moments where I wanted to leave through a back exit. If you do end up going through this house, watch out for the guy with the chainsaw at the very end because that was too much for me.

Puppet theatre

My second favorite house was Puppet Theatre. While there were a lot of good scares, that’s not why it is my second favorite. I really enjoyed the decorations and the costumes in this house. They turned scare actors into live puppets and showed rooms full of decapitated heads. Overall, they did a great job sticking to the theme for this house.

The Bride of Frankenstein

My third favorite was The Bride of Frankenstein. This is the first house that I went to, and it was a good way to start off a little bit calmer. There were only about three or four jump scares. This is great if you want something easier than the other houses, but the line is very long since it is in front of the main stage.

Revenge of the tooth fairy

My fourth favorite was Revenge of the Tooth Fairy. This took a dark spin on the childhood tradition of a Tooth Fairy, and the house itself had decorations of yellow teeth and blood. It is full of evil fairies who want to take your teeth. I think they did a great job with the decorations and the atmosphere of this house.

Haunting of Hill house

Even though it wasn’t my favorite, I had to put Haunting of Hill House in my top five. Guests enter an aging mansion where the Netflix show is recreated. They had The Tall Man, The Bent-Neck Lady, The Ghost in the Basement and more. Although I’ve only seen a few episodes of the show, from what my roommates said, they did a good job representing its theme.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on  Instagram,  Twitter,  TikTok,  YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm Emma and I am a junior at Florida State University double majoring in Media/Communication Studies and Marketing. I was born in Jupiter and lived there for my entire life. In my free time I like to workout, listen to music, and write.