If you’re a movie buff like me, be prepared to spend a lot of time at the theater this summer. 2022 is going to be the season of blockbusters, I’m sure of it. From Marvel to the return of Jordan Peele, your theater is going to have showings for everyone. Without further ado, here are the five films I’m most excited to see this summer in no particular order.

1. doctor strange in the multiverse of madness

I’m a huge Marvel fan, so you can imagine how hyped I am about getting to see this movie in less than two weeks. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness picks up right where Spider-Man: No Way Home left off. The forbidden spell Doctor Strange cast to help Peter Parker creates monumental problems for him and the state of the universe. The film, set to release on May 6, explores the multiverse in a way that’s never been seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen reprise their roles as Doctor Strange and Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch respectively. This film is going to be the defining factor for the future of the MCU, and I cannot wait to dive into all the theories once it is released!

2. nope

I’ve been a fan of Jordan Peele since Us first came to theaters in 2019. The way his mind works is incredible, and he’s created some of the most iconic horror films of this era. Peele has successfully fostered my love for the horror/thriller genre! If you’re like me and saw the first trailer for Nope and immediately thought, “WTF is this?” then I can assure you we’re probably in for the same reaction when the film hits theaters on July 22. Peele confirmed that the film’s plot does involve some sort of alien invasion (so cool!) that affects those on the Black-run horse farm seen in the trailer. Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer star as the owners of the farm. The star-studded cast is rounded out by Euphoria star Barbie Ferreira, Steven Yeun and Michael Wincott. I’m super excited to see this movie, and I just know it’s going to be a huge summer hit!

3. lightyear

Toy Story is arguably the most famous Pixar franchise in history. I grew up watching those films; I had every DVD, toy and anything else you could imagine a five-year-old would have. So imagine my excitement when Lightyear was announced at the D23 Panel, Disney’s annual gathering to share all upcoming projects involving their theme parks and movies. I was even more excited to learn that Chris Evans was voicing Buzz himself! I knew this film would be great as soon as I heard an epic rendition of David Bowie’s “Starman” playing in the trailer. A Buzz Lightyear origin story was something I never knew I needed, but I can’t wait to see this film live up to the hype.

4. thor: love and thunder

Taika Waititi has changed the Thor franchise for the better. He’s one of my favorite screenwriters and directors; I’ve loved every single project he’s been part of. When Thor: Ragnarok came out in 2017, it instantly became my favorite Marvel movie of all time. It was such a far step away from the dark, almost boring Thor films of the past and I loved it. I expect Thor: Love and Thunder to blow me out of the water. Thor’s redemption arc post-Endgame and his team-up with the Guardians of the Galaxy are sure to be great. But, I have to say I’m most looking forward to Natalie Portman’s return to the MCU as Mighty Thor.

5. top gun: maverick

Top Gun was an instant classic and a defining moment in Tom Cruise’s acting career. I saw the film for the first time a few years ago and was instantly captivated by its story and score. Do I think this sequel came 36 years too late? Yes. Am I still going to watch and enjoy the film anyway? Absolutely. Cruise reprises his role as Pete “Maverick” Mitchell as he returns to train Top Gun graduates, including Lt. Bradley Bradshaw, the son of Mitchell’s late best friend Lt. Nick “Goose” Bradshaw. The film is sure to be as nostalgic as it is groundbreaking, and I cannot wait to see it in theaters.

Ladies! Make sure you take some time out of your Hot Girl Summers to relax and see a movie or two. What films are on your must-watch list this summer?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

a senior at Florida State University majoring in Sport Management. she loves watching movies, listening to music, and binge-watching theme park vlogs. on Sunday mornings, you can find her watching the latest Formula 1 race.