Life > Experiences

The Leading Lady, Caitlin McMahon: President of the Women in Pre-Law Society at FSU

Caitlin McMahon, a senior at Florida State University, has excelled in leading the Women In Pre-Law Society (WIPS) as President since April 2022. Caitlin joined WIPS in the fall of 2020 and became the Legal and Networking Chair in April 2021. This Criminology and Political Science double major has served as Vice-Chair for the College of Criminology and Criminal Justice Student Leadership Council. She is a former legal intern for the Fifth Judicial Circuit Court and a former Volunteer Coordinator for Ladies Learning to Lead (L3).

Her Campus (HC): As a senior in college, how did you balance applying to law school/taking the LSAT with school and your leadership position in WIPS?

Caitlin McMahon (CM): Balancing coursework, studying for the LSAT, my leadership positions, and applying to law school was a challenging task, but it was manageable with planning ahead of time. I always advise the members of WIPS to start planning the law school application process early, so they have time to perform all these tasks steadily throughout their undergraduate years. For example, I dedicated my junior year, spring semester, and summer to studying and taking the LSAT. I spent the summer before my senior year and the beginning of this semester crafting my law school applications. This has allowed me to focus solely on my schoolwork and position as the WIPS president. I also time block my days and utilize my planner frequently!

HC: What do you wish you knew about the LSAT and law school application process before beginning your journey?

CM: The LSAT and the law school application process take a lot of time. The LSAT is an incredibly daunting task, and I wish I knew before I started studying that it is completely normal to do worse score-wise before you improve. After I started studying, my practice test scores went down. After around two or three months of studying, I improved significantly after grasping the concepts and thinking that the LSAT tests you on.

HC: What are the benefits of having women in leadership locally at FSU and in the legal field overall?

CM: It is highly beneficial to have women in leadership locally at FSU and in the legal field, especially since the legal field is male-dominated. WIPS strives to offer a different perspective to our women, and we strive to offer different perspectives than what pre-law students typically hear. Having women in leadership also offers this different perspective, which is essential as I believe the future is female.

HC: How do you uphold the highest level of professionalism and integrity, as the WIPS Constitution details?

CM: I think it is essential to treat everyone with kindness and always maintain professionalism, especially for those interested in a future career in the legal field. You never know who your co-worker or boss will be one day, and you want other fellow attorneys to refer your name to future clients.

HC: What advice would you give to someone who would like to enter a leadership position?

CM: My biggest advice to someone interested in entering a leadership position is to get to know someone who currently serves in a leadership role and inform them about your similar interest. During my first year, I reached out to one of the members of the WIPS Executive Board and asked her for her advice, tips, and tricks in applying for a position for the following year. I welcome anyone who wants to get involved in a leadership position, whether in WIPS or not, to reach out to me if they have any questions or need guidance!

HC: Do you have a mentor or person with a career you admire? If so, what do you admire about their career or personality?

CM: I have several amazing mentors that provide me with amazing advice for a future career in the legal field! I especially admire our WIPS Advisor, Dean Nancy Benavides of FSU Law! I look up to her leadership style, as she is an incredibly kind and supportive person to everyone she meets. She provides the members of WIPS with stellar mentorship and constant support. I feel much more confident in my law school journey with her guidance and advice.

HC: What are your legal aspirations?

CM: I have always been passionate about criminal justice reform, and I hope to become a criminal defense attorney after I graduate from law school. This will enable me to aid people in some of the most vulnerable and difficult times of their life. I hope to go into criminal appeals or civil rights law to reform jail and prison conditions and policies.

HC: What is your greatest professional triumph so far?

CM: I thoroughly enjoyed my time being a legal intern at the Fifth Judicial Circuit Court, as I learned about relevant case law and civil/criminal procedure rules. This experience increased my empathy for those involved in the system and inspired me even further to become an attorney.

HC: Have your negotiation strategies improved with leadership?

CM: My negotiation strategies have immensely improved after becoming the president of WIPS. We now have over 200 members and an Executive Board of nine different individuals. There are a lot of experiences, opinions, and ideas that I must consider and negotiate daily to ensure everyone has the resources they need to be a successful attorney in the future. These skills will apply to my future leadership aspirations and legal career.

HC: What does WIPS mean to you?

CM: WIPS is my home at Florida State. I love being the leader of such an amazing community of women who constantly support each other. I have made connections and friendships that are extremely rewarding, and WIPS has made my time at Florida State meaningful and comfortable.

HC: What is your favorite part about WIPS?

CM: My favorite part about WIPS is our guest speaker meetings! I love hearing the advice and experiences of different attorneys and making connections that will last a lifetime.

WIPS accepts new members throughout the entire semester! There are no requirements to join, and you can view the steps to join on their Instagram, @womeninprelaw.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

An FSU student from Ormond Beach, Florida, studying political science.