Style > Fashion

The Best Disney Costume Ideas You Probably Haven’t Thought Of

Though the celebration has lasted and will continue to last the entire year, Oct. 16 marked the official 100th anniversary of the creation of The Walt Disney Company. Since the company’s inception, the people behind the magic have generated hundreds of films with an incredible lineup of characters that many of us have grown up watching and loving, with more and more being created to this day (or at least to when a fair deal is reached in the strike — SAG-AFTRA Strong!).

A new Disney short titled Once Upon a Studio was released on Oct. 16 to commemorate the 100th year anniversary by bringing together 543 Disney animated characters from over 85 feature-length films and short films from the past 100 years, with over 40 voice actors returning to give voice to their nostalgic characters. If you’re looking for a last-minute Halloween costume with a bit of charm, this lineup alone has a multitude of characters to choose from, many of which you probably haven’t thought of in a while! Halloween 2022 was an incredible year for niche and uncommon costumes you don’t always see, and it’s time to keep that energy going, Disney style. Here are some Disney costume ideas that are easy to put together and perfect for a touch of nostalgia.

Cornelius and Franny Robinson: Meet the Robinsons

As one of my favorite couples in Disney history, it’s only fitting that they make the perfect couples costume! You could easily find a white lab coat, blue sweater vest, red tie, and glasses for Cornelius. Of course, spiking up your hair will be necessary — unless you choose to hide it under a fruit hat!

For Franny, DIY-ing some stripes on a white skirt and pairing it with a black long-sleeve, red neckerchief, and red bow would definitely bring out her charm. And don’t forget, her costume would not be complete without a frog companion!

If you wanted to make this a group costume, adding the Bowler Hat Guy, Wilbur, Goob, and the rest of the Robinson family would make it even better! Thankfully, those are all pretty easy costumes to make, too.

The Muses: Hercules

If you’re looking for the perfect group costume that’ll be talked about well after Halloween, who better than the Muses? While this group of goddesses is very popular, I don’t really see enough people taking advantage of their stardom! Just gather a few of your besties and find some white dresses that complement each other, and then go to town on the accessories and makeup. I once did a play as a child where they covered a girl in gold glitter from head to toe, and that’s the type of energy needed for the Muses. After adding gold accessories such as bracelets, headpieces, waist chains, and necklaces, as well as a gold glitter eye look, you all will be shimmering like goddesses all night long!

Ichabod and Mr. Toad:The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

This costume duo idea is definitely taking it way back — all the way to 1949! Not only is this double feature within a film the perfect fall movie to watch if you’re looking for that spooky nostalgia, but it also makes a cool, niche costume.

To embody the superstitious schoolteacher, make sure you don a green coat and dark pants. You could use black Mary Janes and long white socks to give that old-timey feel. To accessorize, add a pink neckerchief with a matching pink bow to go at the end of your hair, along with a black cap to complete the look!

For the wide-eyed toad, find some frog ears to accompany a yellow top with a red jacket and a blue bowtie and keep that energy up all night long, just like Mr. Toad would. This costume idea is definitely not very common, making you the standout for your Halloween celebration!

The Sugar Rush Racers:Wreck-It Ralph

If you’re looking for a group costume with a pop of color, then look no further than the Sugar Rush Racers! With multiple characters to choose from, including the princess herself, Vanellope von Schweetz, this is the type of costume you get to have fun with when styling. Whether you want to go the pink and white striped route with the antagonistic Taffyta Muttonfudge or be an icy blue ice skater with Adorabeezle Winterpop, these costumes do the best with bringing out the sweet treat side of trick or treat. They might even snag you some more candy, the more you embody them!

Perry the Platypus and Dr. Doofenshmirtz: Phineas and Ferb

Although the new short only involved characters from Disney’s animated films, we can’t ignore the characters that the Disney Channel brought us! I’ve had this idea in my head for a year and I absolutely need to see someone bring it to life. What’s so great about Phineas and Ferb is the iconic duos introduced during its run, from the titular Phineas and Ferb, to Candace and Vanessa, Baljeet and Buford, all the way to my personal favorites — Perry the Platypus and Dr. Doofenshmirtz. They are such an iconic and hilarious duo that all Phineas and Ferb fans wait to see them battle it out in every episode despite already knowing how their interaction will start and end.

Don a fedora and wear all green in any way you choose to style yourself for Perry and throw on a black turtleneck and white lab coat for Heinz himself. If you want to keep a gag running all night, try having Perry take off the fedora and Doofenshmirtz go insane trying to figure out where Perry the Platypus is, and who the random platypus next to him is!

The best part about Halloween is figuring out a costume based on something you already love, and pulling from nostalgia is always a good way to show out! Disney’s 100-year anniversary seems so grand compared to the small portion of that time that we’ve experienced and the stories we got to witness as we grew up. Regardless of what you dress up as, make sure it’s something that brings you joy this spooky season!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Cheyenne Cruz is a staff writer for the FSU chapter of HerCampus. Her work involves writing for personal experiences, entertainment and pop culture, and campus life at FSU. She is a Senior at Florida State University, majoring in Humanities and minoring in Hospitality Management. She also serves as the Event Planning Coordinator for the Themed Entertainment Association at FSU. In her free time, she loves reading and video chatting with her family just to check up on her dogs. She has a love for pop culture and a passion for discovering a myriad of films and tv shows, both old and new. Any song in her playlist is easily located from a movie soundtrack, and she loves bringing her new discoveries to so many different people.