Taking Each Day as it Comes with Adaire Mullins

Name: Adaire (uh-dare) Mullins

Hometown: Fort Pierce, FL

Year: Senior  

Age: 20

Major: Retail Merchandising

Relationship Status: Taken

Her Campus (HC): So graduating early is a totally terrifying thought, but will this be your last year or are we pushing for one more semester?

Adaire Mullins (AM): I’ve been going back and forth with this for a while, but as of now I think I’ve decided come spring semester I’ll be ready. So the day after my birthday I’d be graduating!

HC: That’s so nerve-racking but exciting! What are your plans for after graduation?

AM: My mom is planning on moving to Colorado and with that I’d probably move out there as well cause there is way more opportunity there, especially within my field, so that’s one plan. I’ve also been thinking about going to Europe for six months to a year! As of now I’m leaning toward Europe so we’ll see!

HC: You mentioned working within your field if the Colorado plan wins so what exactly are your career plans?

AM: At first I didn’t want to use my major at all, but I took a visual class and I really like it! And visual is basically like setting up a store from the way it looks to the even the smell of it so that is what I’d love to do. Working in visual, you’re putting something together and I don’t know I just think that’s awesome. But if I don’t use my major then I’ve been thinking about being a teacher which is crazy cause I’ve always told myself I’d never be a teacher, but I love kids!

HC: You’re kind of in this “we’ll see what happens stage,” which I think is exciting! I feel like we fail to realize how young we are when we graduate and think that every little thing has to be figured out!

AM: It’s terrifying but my mom always says, “If you’re not scared, then you’re not doing it right!”

HC: Why did you decide on FSU in the first place?

AM: Florida State is the only school that had my major, which I was so in love with when I applied for schools. It was also six hours away which was an appeal but scary as well. Regardless I’m so happy I chose to come here.

HC: I detected some sarcasm when you said “the major I was so in love with,” what was that about?

AM: Well I have this little story that’s kind of funny. So I was in love with Lauren Conrad (LC) for my entire teenage years and I wanted to be just like her so I looked into her school and she was a fashion merchandising major which is similar to retail essentially. A light bulb went off and I was like OMG this school has that. I can be LC! Not only that but I loved fashion, I used to make my own little outfits. They weren’t great, but to me they were awesome! I don’t do that anymore though, I’ve become a lot earthier and just kind of more aware of myself so somehow fashion just kind of got put on the back-burner.

HC: Do you still have a love for fashion?

AM: Yeah! I still have a love for it, but I would want to do it in a different way such as working for a vegan fashion line or in surf wear or something that I can connect with rather than the couture side of the industry. I still love the creativity of fashion and, like I said, I love the idea of putting something together so I think would love to be a creative director. I could totally see myself doing that!

HC: Another career idea to add to the list! Now if your high school self saw you today what would she say?

AM: That is a loaded question, I definitely think she’d be very surprised. In high school I was very opinionated. I didn’t hold back ever, I thought that being honest, completely honest, was equivalent to being a good person. Over time though I’ve realized it’s not. I didn’t have much of a filter in any aspect of my life so overall I think she would be proud of the person I’ve become which is someone who is a lot more chill and aware. I know myself better now than I think I did back then.

HC: Do you have a favorite place in Tallahassee?

AM: Okay so I’m not really sure where it is exactly but if you go out a little west you hit the woods and I love it out there! There’s this place that my boyfriend takes us to and you reach this clearing, there’s tall tress everywhere and it is just so cool! The sinkholes are a nice spot too, but this is different it’s so serene and beautiful. I absolutely love it.

HC:  Can you tell me about a typical day in the life of Adaire!

AM: Generally I wake up five minutes before I have to leave, go to class like a responsible student and then I go save lives.

HC: Save lives, that’s awesome! What do you do?

AM: I’m a lifeguard here in Tallahassee. There’s seven community pools in town, but only three are open right now. I’m either sleeping, in class or savin’ lives!

HC: What song can’t you get out of your head?

AM: This is going to sound so cheesy but I really love “Downtown” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis because the video is hilarious! My roommate and I will dance in our living room with the video and it’s just so funny! I’ve really been listening to MisterWives so right now I can’t get “Our Own House” out of my head!

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

AM: Vivacious! I can’t think of anything else, give me a second. Okay scratch vivacious let’s go with aware, outgoing and earthy.

HC: You say you’re outgoing and I think you’re such a people person. Where do you think that comes from?

AM: Definitely my parents. My dad is very outgoing, he doesn’t necessarily have a lot of close friends but he owned a business and had so many friends, basically everyone in town knew who he was even if he didn’t necessarily know who they were. And then my mom has never had a problem with speaking with people or making friends so I was raised to be loud and voice my opinions and that just translated into my life.

HC: It’s been three years now for you at Florida State. Have you made some awesome friends?

AM: Forsure! It’s crazy to see though because over time everyone has changed, I myself have changed and it’s scary to think “will we still stay close after college” but I think we will. We have such a good group and bond that in some way we’ll stay connected. It’s just weird because going back to our hometown we have a place to return to, but people may not necessarily come back to Tallahassee. We don’t have common ground to meet up again. We have no clue where everyone is going to end up after college. That freaks me out a bit, but I’m confident things will be okay.

HC: Where’d you end up meeting the friends you have?

AM: Basically I met all of them in Dorman hall my first year of college. Which is the best thing that has ever happened to me, I loved it!  The dorm itself was disgusting which is why it’s gone now, but it was definitely an amazing experience.

HC: Do you have any advice for freshman?

AM: Don’t think that you know who you are as soon as you get here. You’ll end up thinking, “I’m on my own I know what I’m doing” but you don’t and that’s okay. Be smart, be willing to grow and be willing to change. You feel like you have to stay on one path but that’s not necessarily the case. I know I’ve changed a lot we all have and that’s totally okay. Don’t be afraid.

HC: Do you have a favorite quote?

AM: I have a few but I love this one: “Everything you want is coming. Relax and let the universe pick the timing and the way. You just need to trust that what you want is coming, and watch how fast it comes.”-Abraham Hicks. I love that quote because at a point in my life where I thought nothing was going my way I saw that quote on Tumblr and literally two weeks later everything fell into place. It was insane! And I just feel like it’s very true, once you stop trying to control every little thing your life will just fall into place.  

I am currently a junior at Florida State University, studying Editing, Writing and Media. I have a passion for fashion and I love all things pop culture. After graduating I hope to pursue a career in journalism as for now I am simply trying to balance: school, work, having a social life and when I can sleep! I'm taking each day as it comes, and enjoying this journey that is life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.