Tacospeak Closes: We Don’t Wanna Taco ‘Bout It

While it doesn’t seem like a complex food, tacos have been made hundreds of ways, with millions of flavors and recipes. All over the world, people enjoy the scrumptious handheld meal. Two years ago, Tallahassee was gifted with a restaurant with its own remarkable twist on the classic Mexican food: Tacospeak.

When Tacospeak first opened, Florida State students and Tallahassee residents were amazed by the quirky menu and fresh ingredients. Since most of the customers were college students, the menu offered affordable and delicious choices. It was a restaurant suitable for all with vegetarian options available as well! Tacospeak offered anything from breakfast tacos like the “Americana,” a blend of scrambled eggs, bacon and cheddar cheese, to the “CBLT,” a tasty twist on a BLT sandwich with a piece of fried chicken in a tortilla. Along with their deluxe choice of tacos, Tacospeak offered handcrafted beverages with organic ingredients.

Courtesy: Shawn Harris

However, as it is famously said, all good things must come to an end. In the beginning of January, it was time for students and residents to say goodbye to a beloved restaurant. While the sign remains on the corner of Stadium Dr. and Tennessee St., a note is the only thing you find on the outside, reading, “Tacospeak is permanently closed. Thank you to all who supported us for the last two years. It has been a pleasure to serve you.”

When the news was first announced, students went crazy. On a personal level, I was not ready to let go of such a Tallahassee staple. Their Texas queso, which came with a dollop of guacamole in the center to sooth the heat, shall forever live in my dreams. Like many others, Austin Pomianowski, FSU student, says, “My soul is crushed. I’ve had so many great memories in [Tacospeak] and I feel like I’ve lost a friend.” While some did not experience this on such a meaningful level, the loss still inflicts. Since taco deliveries and walk-ins until three in the morning have no return in sight, drunken wanderers will have to find a new midnight craving.

Unfortunately, like all grieving processes, we must accept and move forward. If you were unable to experience the joy that is Tacospeak, do not fret! While they may not be “certified legit tacos” promised by TacoSpeak, Tallahassee is full of flavors. For someone who enjoys a great taco Tuesday special, I highly recommend hitting up Tijuana Flats or Burrito Boarder. Every Tuesday, Tijuana offers their $5.99 special, which offers two tacos, a drink and a side of chips. Sounds like a deal to me! Prefer a build-your-own taco place? Head to Burrito Boarder for $1 tacos every Tuesday! The assembly line style ensures a perfect order every time. Both places will offer the fun and energetic experience of the Taco Tuesday you’re seeking.

Her Campus at Florida State University.