Style

Sustainable Fashion: Is Anything Being Done?

The fashion industry is the second most polluting industry globally, just behind oil. This may not come as a surprise to many of you, but you might be shocked to hear about how little has actually be done to change this. With a new year, it seems that people are starting to make a change. Many of the big names in fashion have begun more sustainable practices. Here are just a few of the things that have happened so far in 2020 in regard to sustainable fashion.

BAFTAs

The BAFTAs are Britain’s most important television and film award show. Celebrities including Brad Pitt, Florence Pugh and even Kate Middleton and Prince William attended this year. Apart from celebrating the film, this award show was sure to be one of the most sustainable ever. Prior to the event, guests were given a list of sustainable options for their outfits. Before entering the event, every attendee (yes, even Prince William) was given guidelines on how they can reduce their carbon footprint. Although it was not mandatory to follow these suggestions, there were hopes that celebrities would try to be as sustainable as possible. Kate Middleton was one of very few celebrities who actually followed these suggestions and wore an Alexander McQueen gown she had previously worn in 2012. While many celebrities didn’t dress sustainable, it was a great effort made by the British Academy and one that can serve as a precedent for the future.

Vogue Italia

This past November, Venice, Italy experienced the worst flood since 1966. Vogue Italia has taken initiative to help the people of Venice and is beginning to take steps toward sustainability. January’s cover of the magazine featured drawings rather than pictures and was a fully-illustrated issue. The purpose of this was to decrease the environmental impact that comes with photoshoots. Traveling itself creates high gas emissions, so having to take planes, trains, and cars just to get to one shoot can have an impact on the planet. Apart from this, Vogue Italia donated the capital that they would have spent on the photoshoots to a local foundation in order for them to make repairs to damages that the flood caused. This month, Vogue Italia has dedicated its whole magazine to Venice, sharing stories about the importance of the city and why it means so much to Italians. The cover of the magazine shows one of Italy’s most famous models, Vittoria Ceretti, holding up a stone with the international bank account number that people can donate to. Venice isn’t just a center of history and art, but it is also the home of civilians whose homes and small businesses have been ruined; this is a message that the Vogue Italia strongly seeks to convey. These two issues are just the beginning of the story for the magazine.

Adidas

Adidas has hit a new high as this year they will be using over 50 percent recycled materials to produce their polyester. As a brand that is committed to sustainable practices, Adidas wants to protect our oceans by decreasing the amount of plastic waste. They will use plastic that is collected from beaches to produce their polyester. In 2024, they plan to produce 100 percent of their polyester from recycled materials. You can learn more about their efforts here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Retail Entrepreneurship Major at Florida State.
Her Campus at Florida State University.