With the excitement of Halloween coming and going and the anticipation of Christmas just around the corner, Thanksgiving is finally here. Although sometimes viewed as simply a pre-Christmas, it’s that special time of year where food, family, and friends are all brought together. It’s a beautiful reunion of both relatives and recipes. However, to the average college student, Thanksgiving can mean so much more. Get ready to gain ten pounds worth of delicious food and happiness. Here’s what you need to keep in mind when avoiding awkward run-ins with distant aunts and uncles on your way to grab seconds.

Heading home for Thanksgiving?

Going back home for a week is like going on vacation. Make sure to enjoy the time as much as you possibly can. You’re free from schoolwork for a couple of days and you get to have home-cooked meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On top of that, you get to ditch the old dorm bed or skimpy apartment mattress for a couple days to enjoy the glory that is your very own bed.

Being home can mean a lot of different things to many students, but for the most part, it’s a great time to reconnect with old friends. It’s just enough time to say hello and catch up with childhood or high school friends as well as any family that may be in town for the holiday. Those couple of days of Thanksgiving break are perfect for playing catch up before you have to head back to school in your stretchy pants.

Staying in town for Thanksgiving?

Whether you’re riding out the week in your dorm, apartment, catching up on Netflix, or racking up hours at your job, staying home for Thanksgiving can have its perks.

You have successfully avoided the classic, “What are you doing with your life?” questions. Your older cousins will just have to wait till Christmas to pry at the specific details surrounding your major, graduation date, job, plans for the future, life goals, and basically everything else you could possibly not be sure of.

You have the perfect amount of time to play catch-up. Whether it’s getting ahead in school, with laundry, friends, cleaning, sleep, or your television shows, use your free time to relax and recharge.

When you spend your Thanksgiving solo, you call the shots. Indulge in as much takeout as you please or coordinate potlucks with other friends who may be in town. You only want corn bread this year? Go for it. Treat yo’ self. 

So whether you’re in Tallahassee, at home, with family, or with friends, Thanksgiving is a beautiful time to celebrate life. Wherever you may be or whoever you’re sharing with, focus on the good you’ve had, the good around you, and the good that’s still to come. Most importantly, Thanksgiving is the one day a year that you can eat whatever you want and no one can tell you anything. So eat to your hearts’ content, Seminoles, and happy holidays to you all.

Alexandra Lauren is a senior at Florida State, born and raised in Miami, Florida, and has a passion for books, traveling, coffee, and 90’s R&B. 
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!