Suiting Up for Spring Break

Spring break is right around the corner and you’ve been working your butt off at the gym since New Year’s trying to get that Victoria’s Secret body.  More than anything, you want to look better than everyone else when you bust out in your bikini in Panama City. However, looking great on the beach is more than having washboard abs and tan skin. Picking the right swimsuit will compliment your body, minimize your flaws, and accentuate your perfections. Choosing the right swimsuit is the perfect way to achieve the sexy-beach-look you’re going for and make all your friends wonder how you did it.

Here are three major questions to answer about your body before you start shopping:

What is your skin tone?
If you have fair skin, bright colors are the way to go. Colors like bright red, violet, lime green, and fuchsia will compliment your skin, making it look soft and healthy. Stay away from nude colors because they will blend too much to your skin making you look washed out.
With darker or olive skin, you should gravitate towards rich blues or royal purples. Camel, beige, and dark browns also compliment your skin, making it look healthy and golden. Orange is also a good color for people with darker skin.

What is your bust size?
If you have a big bust, the most important thing for you to do is to get a bathing suit that has an underwire. This helps to support your breasts and gives them good shape and lift. Consider getting a bathing suit with spandex because it helps to pull your body in tighter to get that hourglass shape. Halter-tops are most strongly recommended for those with a big bust because they offer better support than a string bikini. Although a V-neck can look good, make sure that it’s not too low cut because too much cleavage keeps you from looking classy. Square cut necklines are strongly recommended, as long as they don’t come up too high.

If you have a smaller bust size, then you may want to try a bandeau style suit. These suits give more shape to your breasts making them look bigger. Prints are also good for those with small breasts because they create the illusion of a bigger bust, while solid colors make them look smaller. Halter necks are also good for a small bust.  Tube tops will compliment a small bust and horizontal stripes will make them look larger and more full.

What is your body type?
Hourglass:
You have an hourglass figure when your bust is equal in measurement to your hips. A small waist is another characterization of this shape.
There is more flexibility with this body type. You can get away with pretty much anything as long as you stick with bikini parts that match each other. Otherwise, you would end up looking disproportional.

Triangle:
You have a triangle figure when your hip measurement is larger than your bust measurement.  It’s good to mix and match when you have this body type. Wearing a printed top will take attention away from your hips and focus is on your bust to create the illusion of a more hourglass shape. Strapless tops also look really good with this body type.

Apple shape:
You have an apple figure when your bust measurement is larger than your hip measurement. These women have larger breasts, broader shoulders, and smaller hips. Bathing suits with thicker straps, like a halter, is recommended for this body type. Mixing and matching also works with this type. Wear a bright bottom to accentuate your hips.

Rectangular:
You have a rectangular body type when you have broad shoulders that are proportional to your waist. Because of this, rectangular shaped women’s waists lose definition. These women should go for more girly bathing suits, with ruffles and feminine prints. Ruffles create volume and wearing a bathing suit with side ties brings attention to the hips.
Another tip for those women on the shorter side – Chose a suit with high cut legs. This will make your legs look longer, lengthening your body’s overall appearance.

References

http://www.ehow.com/how_3249_choose-colors-flatter.html
http://www.bigbustsupport.com/swimming_suits.html
http://www.oprah.com/style/The-Best-Swimwear-Brands/7
http://www.collegefashion.net/fashion-tips/how-to-buy-the-best-bathing-suit-for-your-body-shape/

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.