Spring Break Plans for Beach Haters

Spring break is all about relaxation and for some, that means laying by the beach with a book in one hand and a drink in the other. To others, the idea of beating beach crowds and tourist traffic sounds like a spring break nightmare. If the sound of sand between your toes doesn’t interest you, don’t fret. There are plenty of other ways to make the most of your week vacation aside from rays and salty water.

1. Good Food and Good Company

Courtesy: Cooler LifeStyle

Being away at school can be hard on friendships and relationships. If you’re going home, set some time aside this spring break to bring together some friends to catch up. Maybe make dinner together or hit up your old favorite spot for good conversation and funny stories. Your friends will be happy to hear from you after a stressful semester. With all this catching up, don’t forget to spare a few days for the family. They will be more than eager to hear about your latest adventures. Plus, who doesn’t love free food?

2. Be a Tourist in Your City

Think about that one place you’ve always wanted to go to, but for some reason never got around to it. Doesn’t matter where you are from, there’s a secret treasure in every city. Spring break is the perfect time to explore your home and find a new bar or boutique. Keep exploring and you might even come across some parks and museums you’ve never visited before. You don’t always have to travel far to find yourself a cool location and a good Instagram picture.

3. Take a Hike Instead

Courtesy: Florida Hikes

If water isn’t your thing, it’s okay. You can still enjoy the great weather by finding a local spot and going for a hike instead. You can still get that vitamin C without the crazy spring breakers on the beach. If there are no great hiking areas near you, find a national park instead. Grab your best walking shoes and favorite playlist before heading out. The start of spring means flowers and great weather so don’t waste your week indoors. They’ll be plenty of that when finals hit.

4. Do the Things You’re Always Too Busy To Do

Maybe you’re not the outdoorsy type at all and you’d rather stay home. Now is the best time to do all the things you never get around to during the busy semester. Whether it’s catching up on your favorite Netflix original series, hanging out in pajamas all day or reading that new release. Get creative and focus on yourself. It can be very hard to balance responsibilities with your mental health and it’s important to take to do the things that make you happy, no matter how small.

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.