“Spider-Man: No Way Home” Teaser Trailer Breaks Records and Blows Fans’ Minds

Spider-Man: No Way Home has become one of the most highly anticipated films of all time without giving away a single detail about its plot—until now. The official No Way Home teaser trailer was released late at night on Aug. 23. In just 24 hours, the trailer garnered over 355.5 million views, breaking the record set by Avengers: Endgame by 66.5 million views. It’s also become the most mentioned trailer on social media within a 24-hour time frame.

The teaser shows Peter Parker asking Dr. Strange to make the world forget that he’s Spider-Man after Mysterio revealed his secret identity during the end credits of Spider-Man: Far From Home. However, Dr. Strange’s spell goes terribly wrong and opens a multiverse that reintroduces some very familiar faces. Let’s break down the trailer’s top three mind-blowing revelations.

Tom Holland as Spider-Man
Marvel Studios

1. Peter and MJ Are Stronger Than Ever.

Spider-Man: Far From Home saw these two lovebirds crushing HARD on each other (remember how much effort Peter put into find the perfect black dahlia necklace for MJ?). The couple made it official at the end of the movie, but after Peter’s identity was revealed, fans wondered if the pressure would break their bond.

Thankfully, the trailer makes it clear that MJ and Peter are sticking with each other no matter what. From sunset rooftop dates and swapping shirts to facing protestors at school hand-in-hand, the couple seems ready to face anything the world may throw at it. Or really, anything that Peter may throw at it; he interferes with Dr. Strange’s spell as soon as he realizes that MJ will forget about their entire relationship. Does Peter’s meddling work, or will the pair have to start all over?

2. Doc Ock, Electro and the Green Goblin Are Back!

The absolute biggest jaw-dropper in the No Way Home trailer is the final shot revealing the return of the villain Doctor Octopus. Alfred Molina is officially reprising his role as the multi-armed madman from the 2004 Sam Raimi film Spider-Man 2. One well-rolled pumpkin bomb and an echo of Willem Dafoe’s sinister laugh confirm that the infamous Green Goblin from the Raimi franchise is also back! Jamie Foxx is hinted to be reprising his role as Electro from the 2014 film The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The trailer’s 2:13 mark and 2:26 mark show Electro’s signature yellow sparks wreaking havoc on the streets of New York City.

3. The Multiverse Has Officially Been Opened. Now What?

The appearance of Spider-Man villains from outside of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) raises several questions. If all three villains died in their original films, how are they alive in No Way Home? Is Doc Ock’s “Hello, Peter” quote directed at Tom Holland’s Peter Parker or at Tobey Maguire’s Peter Parker from the 2004 film? Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, both of whom are heavily rumored to be involved with the film, don’t appear in the teaser trailer. The appearance of villains from both of their franchises leaves the door open for all three Spider-Men to finally meet on screen. Are you screaming yet?

You’ll have to wait for answers until Spidey swings into theaters on Dec. 17. With what’s been confirmed so far, there’s no way you’re staying home.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Fabiana Beuses is a senior at Florida State University double majoring in Media/Communication Studies and English (Editing, Writing, and Media). She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FSU. She previously served as Her Campus' Summer 2023 Entertainment & Culture Intern and is currently a National Culture Writer, where she profiles celebrities and professionally fangirls over pop culture phenomena. When she's not polishing her latest article, you can find her browsing bookstore aisles, taste testing vanilla lattes around town, or rewatching the Harry Potter series for the millionth time.