Sophia Chaitha: Aspiring Speech Therapist

Name: Sophia Chaitha

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication Disorders

Hometown: Baker, Florida

Relationship Status: Taken 

Courtesy: Sophia Chaitha

She runs around her room with music blaring, apologizing for the mess as she clears a spot for me and my coffee. I assure her that it’s fine, and she asks about my day while still running around. Sophia’s life can be wrapped up in one word: busy. However, under her hurriedness and striving, her heart of gold shines through. As a future speech therapist, she has her mind on the future, where she selflessly gives of herself to help others. Strong, dedicated and hard-working, please meet Sophia Chaitha.  

Her Campus: If you could describe yourself in three words what would they be?

Sophia Chaitha: Oh, I hate this question! *Laughs.* Caring, forgiving, friendly.

HC: Many people call freshman year the easiest year. Have you found that to be true? 

SC: Not really. I mean that’s the year you’re finding yourself, finding new friends. That’s the year you’re figuring yourself out and learning to be okay without your parents. You can’t just go to your room and slam the door. You have to figure out how to grow up. So no, I wouldn’t say it’s the easiest year atleast in that aspect. Maybe in schoolwork it is.

Courtesy: Sophia Chaitha

HC: What is your biggest accomplishment?

SC: I was valedictorian in high school. That was a big accomplishment for me. It was something I had been working towards for basically the whole time I was in school. 

Courtesy: Sophia Chaitha

HC: Who is your biggest inspiration?

SC: Probably my nana. She’s really strong. Her whole life she was in an area of leadership in a man’s world back in a time when it was looked down upon, but she never let anyone get in her way. She was always respected by everybody because she’s just kind of the person you don’t disrespect. And I just admire that about her, she demands [respect] without actually demanding it.

HC: Your major is Communication Disorders. Why did you choose that specifically?

SC: My cousin is autistic and has a lot of difficulty communicating with people. I shadowed in his classroom and there was this little girl who two to three months prior to speech therapy had not spoken a word. After some therapy, she started talking. And that’s when I knew that I wanted to do that. I want to help kids who are having trouble talking or getting their thoughts across. I want to help them express what they want to express. 

Courtesy: Sophia Chaitha

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

SC: I hope I’m practicing at that point, maybe working on another degree. I’m looking into a second Masters degree so maybe doing that while working.

HC: How else are you involved?

SC: I’m a member of NSSLHA [National Student Speech Language Hearing Association]. They have a lot of volunteer opportunities, which I am a part of.  

HC: What exactly is your internship?

SC: I will be a videographer for the autism institute. Basically, I will be gathering some home observations in video format so they can maybe identify some early signs of ASD and put them in early interventionist programs.

HC: What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned in college so far?

SC: I don’t know, there’s so many. I guess the biggest one I’ve learned is that if I want to be successful in all aspects of my life like relationships, school, extra-curricular, jobs, anything I have to prioritize and not have too much fun before I’ve done any work.

HC: What would be your advice to a current freshman?

SC: Have fun, don’t get too stressed out. It all gets better eventually.  

Courtesy: Sophia Chaitha 

HC: So, one fun question. In honor of Twilight’s 10 year anniversary, let’s go back a few years to the most important question on every girl’s mind: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

SC: Team Jacob! Because Jacob doesn’t sparkle and sparkling kind of freaks me out. So I appreciate the fact that he stays matte. Also I like wolves, so I’m totally okay with his transformation.

HC: What are words to live by?

SC: Make the most out of every day of your life because we’re not guaranteed tomorrow. That’s something I kind of wake up every day thinking about because I don’t want to create for myself a negative environment, a negative day and for that to be my last. Just to try and make every day count. 

Courtesy: Sophia Chaitha 

Writing is my passion. How I Met Your Mother is my favorite tv show (along with Gossip Girl, Modern Family, and American Horror Story). Travelling is an obsession, I am a victim of wanderlust. I worship the sunshine. Pasta is my go-to meal. Coffee is my drink of choice (or maybe a glass of Riesling).
Her Campus at Florida State University.