diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

So, You Survived Syllabus Week – Now What?

Imagine this: you’re finally starting off fall semester, your dorm or apartment is completely decorated, you’ve bought all your school supplies, and you went to Publix and stocked up on the essential snacks (yes, I mean Pop-Tarts and Cheez-Its). You’re on your way to your first class of the week and the teacher simply spends 15 minutes going over the syllabus. You think this is a strange way to start of the year but you don’t question it. You soon find out that this is the norm for every class you attend throughout the whole first week of school. What’s your solution? Treat the first week of school like a week of vacation.

Credit: Odyssey 

Welcome to the beauty of syllabus week! It’s the only week of the school year where you can get away with doing absolutely nothing in class and still feel productive (because c’mon, it did take effort to get out of bed and show up to your 15-minute long class). But alas, you’re struck by the realization that this blissful week of easy, breezy classes won’t last…

Fast-forward: it’s the second week of school and you have three tests, two quizzes, a paper and at least five homework assignments due all on the same day. Welcome to the frightening post-syllabus week world of college, where you actually have to be a productive student.

Credit: Imgflip

The post-syllabus week anxieties are REAL, but don’t worry. I’ve got a few tips to help you settle into your new school schedule in order to actually get some work done: 

Tip #1: Actually read your syllabus.

Teachers go through the trouble of making a syllabus and spending the first week of school going over it to make your life much easier. They post all of the assignment due dates, exam dates and the grading scale so you can plan accordingly and stay on track. 

Tip #2: Buy or make a planner. 

Having a planner or calendar is the easiest way to stay on top of your assignments and not fall behind in your schoolwork. Thanks to your handy-dandy syllabus, you can check when your assignments will be due and your tests will be given, so you can write those down ahead of time. It’s so much easier to stay motivated and ahead of the game when you’ve got everything written down in front of you! #realtalk 

Tip #3: Buy your textbooks ASAP.

If you didn’t buy your required textbooks during syllabus week, get on it NOW! If a teacher assigns you a textbook or eBook, it’s because the material they’ll cover and test you on is from that book. Make sure you purchase it so you can secure the bag and get that A in the class. Plus, lots of online stores and book stores offer student discounts during the first few weeks of school so take advantage and save some of that chingle chingle for yourself! 

Tip #4: Stay focused and prioritize.

Too many people stay in party mode after syllabus week and forget that although they might’ve slacked off the first week, college gets real hard, real fast. Being silly during sylly week (get it?) is totally fine and TBH, it’s expected from most college kids, but only the strongest will survive those post-syllabus week blues. Set goals for yourself in the next weeks to come and know what you have to do to achieve and surpass them! Hold yourself accountable.

Tip #5: Take it day by day.

College is scary and stressful (I’m fine, we’re fine, everything’s fine), but you can get through it! Take it one day at a time and don’t become overwhelmed at the amount of work you have to get done. You CAN overcome all these obstacles and you WILL. 

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.