Sir Harry Kroto Discusses Creativity Without Borders

Photo Credit: www.fsu.edu

We are lucky enough to have a Nobel Prize-winning professor teaching here at Florida State, and we are even luckier that he welcomes students to learn about his passions outside of the classroom! On Thursday, October 2nd, students from all majors at FSU were invited to hear Sir Kroto speak at the Student Life Center (SLC). His speech centered on Créativité Sans Frontières (Creativity Without Borders). His aim was to show how science and creativity have a deeper connection than most people think. Have you ever had someone tell you that you can be a ‘math person’ or a ‘creative person,’ but never both? Well Sir Kroto certainly disproved this myth as he dived into the fundamental aspects of creativity, and highlighted how key factors in the creative process are much the same across all fields (including science!) 

Creativity Without Borders explained that by looking at symmetries (and sometimes asymmetries) and patterns, artists and scientists find common inspiration. Patterns found in the physical and natural world can help an artist create a beautiful piece of work, or inspire a scientist to come up with a hypothesis to be tested. Sir Kroto explained how fascination with patterns and symmetry has led to massive contributions to our society.

Let’s take an example relevant to Collegiettes: neuroscientists and psychologists have started to study beauty, due to their interest in facial symmetry. Is facial symmetry what causes people to believe something is beautiful? Brain activity in the reward and pleasure section shows certain patterns when you observe something you think is beautiful. Coming from a scientist’s point of view, it is likely that simple inspiration from facial symmetry has resulted in a study that may further investigation of the brain and people’s individual perceptions.

Let’s take the same example and look at it from an artist’s perspective. Asymmetry may be their inspiration, as artists tend to have a different perception from scientists. Having something slightly different or quirky may hold more significance to someone who studies shapes and colors. Cultural trends may in fact be the influencing factor in determining beauty. The amount of exposure to something, and how a collective group of people views it, is important.

Sir Kroto explained that creativity is not something that is limited to only artists or only scientists. It is shared by both and brings the two opposite fields together. Studying both at college is an invaluable experience that will make you that much more marketable and knowledgeable to future employers.

Sir Harry Kroto is a Nobel Prize-winning chemist, who has taught in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Florida State since 2004. Sir Kroto gives a series of public lectures to schools, both national and international, specifically encouraging science education and careers in the field of science. He is also fascinated with art and theatre, and has produced creative graphic design work. One of his goals at FSU is to “give at least one lecture to every freshman at Florida State during their career.”

Sir Harry Kroto’s Créativité Sans Frontières speech is available as a free podcast on iTunes! Check it out here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/creativite-sans-frontieres/id542103365?mt=10

Also, check out his personal website for more information about this outstanding professor! www.kroto.info/

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.