Sip, Stroll, and Splash on These 3 Raging Rivers Around Tallahassee

When I decided to come to FSU, I was a bit worried. Not about being in a new city or moving away from home… I was worried about missing the beach. Coming from South Florida, the beach becomes a big part of your life, especially in a town like mine where there isn’t much to do besides going to the beach. During my first couple of semesters, I spent a lot of time around the pool, at least when it wasn’t too cold.

Then, my friends told me about some rivers nearby and asked if I wanted to go. This started a little thing for me that I like to call “The River Revolution.” I realized that the river had a lot to offer and gave a similar feeling to going to the beach, while still being very different from the white sands and clear blue water that I was used to.

Wacissa River

My favorite way to spend my free time is chilling by the Wacissa River, which is about a 30-minute drive away from campus. There’s an area at the end of the road where you’re able to tan, picnic, grill, and even put a small boat in the water. Imagine combining the activities of a beach and a park; that’s the vibe that the Wacissa gives. Close to this small landing, there’s also a canoe and kayak rental shop and a place to book airboat tours. I haven’t been on the airboat tour, but the canoe and kayak rentals are so much fun and give you the ability to go down the river to see all the wildlife and beautiful clear water.

This is my favorite river to visit with my friends, mostly because of the rope swing and dock area. While I definitely have had some embarrassing moments on that rope, it’s always so much fun to jump in with your friends and watch each other flop into the river. When I go, I like to bring a cooler with some drinks, lunch, and snacks. I also bring a float, towel, speaker, and some type of sports ball. Doing these little river days with friends has been a great fun release after a week full of assignments. The Wacissa brings a lot of fun while staying low-key and avoiding being around a crowd of people.

Wakulla River

The Wakulla River is definitely a close runner-up for me. While I’ve been to this river a bit less than the Wacissa, it is equally, if not more, beautiful. Wakulla Springs is a bit closer, only being a 20-minute drive from campus. The Wakulla River definitely gives more tourist-type fun, but who doesn’t like some basic tourist fun? Here, they have a bit of everything, including clear water, boats, floats, and even jumping platforms. Going on the spring’s jungle cruise when my family came to town was a fun wholesome activity for us to do that we could all enjoy. Of course, we all loved seeing the manatees, and they also have various other attractions… I just haven’t gotten the chance to explore those yet.

My favorite thing about the Wakulla River is definitely the size. While it can get pretty busy, there’s still so much space, and you’re easily able to find a spot to relax away from the crowd if needed. A little fun fact about the Wakulla River is that some of the early Tarzan movies were filmed there! While I love Tarzan and the lively attractions that I talked about, how crowded it can get brings this one down from the number one choice.

Madison Blue Springs

While this place may be listed last, make no mistake; it’s just as great. Madison Blue Springs isn’t technically a river, but it’s still an amazing natural water feature near Tallahassee. This spring is a bit farther away, being about an hour’s drive, but it’s definitely worth the gas money. It’s a smaller space, but swimming in the clear, freshwater was such a relaxing feeling. I loved just wading around in the water and waiting for the occasional manatee to swim by. One day, when I gain the confidence, I want to explore the cave system, but for now, my thalassophobia (fear of large bodies of water) prevails. The drive can definitely be a bit of a hassle, but once my music is on and I’ve picked up all my friends, it feels like nothing.

Discovering the magic of a trip to the river has helped me gain so many more fun memories with my friends and gives me a chance to put my priorities aside, even if just for a few hours. I don’t know about you guys, but college is stressful, and I like to take any chance I get to have some rest and relaxation. Lately, my favorite way to do that has been the river. I’m happy to say I have finally adapted to living away from the beach, and I actually might miss the river when I leave here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

From Naples, FL Kaitlyn is a student at FSU majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media. During her time at FSU she’s worked on the undergraduate literary staff before moving up to the masthead as well as being apart of the Beta Mu Gamma Phi Beta chapter.