Style

Shopping For a Cause: Many Brands Take Part in Earth Day

On April 22, 2019, people all over the world will be celebrating the global event called Earth Day and spreading awareness of environmental issues all over the globe. Although Earth Day isn’t a national holiday and is only one day a year, everyone should still partake in maintaining better cleaning habits, even when buying things from well-known brands like American Eagle and Adidas.

This year, in an effort to become more eco-friendly, these brands have chosen to create products that will help the environment and spread awareness of environmental issues like the use of plastic straws.

hand holding globe
Porapak Apichodilok

American Eagle

On April 1, 2019, the clothing brand American Eagle released its Earth Day initiative for the month of April. Every day for the entire month, if a customer brings in a pair of old, worn-out jeans, they will receive $10 off a brand new pair of AE jeans. American Eagle pledges to recycle the jeans as “partnership with Cotton’s Blue Jeans Go Green™ program to be used as housing insulation,” according to the American Eagle blog. For every pair of jeans, a tree will also be planted to help the wildfire devastations in California. American Eagle has partnered with Cotton for 11 years and together they have recycled more than 350,000 jeans.

Everlane

Everlane is a clothing retailer that primarily sells clothes online and is widely known for developing new initiatives to help the environment, like the launch of ReNew, which will “eliminate all virgin plastic from their supply chain by 2021, starting with outerwear,” according to Refinery29. Everlane has recently announced that on April 25, 2019, it will release a new line of sneakers that will have a low carbon footprint. The sneakers are called the Trainer, Tread by Everlane and are virgin plastic-free, which are made by combining natural rubber and recycled rubber. The sneakers will have seven color options and start at $98.

Adidas

Adidas is one of the most popular brands of sneakers, and over the years it has worked with companies like Parley for the Oceans in 2015. On April 17, 2019, Adidas announced that it is creating the Futurecraft Loop sneaker, which is made out of only one recycled material. Although the new shoe is in the early stages of development, the company launched the shoes with a video starring Willow Smith. The eco-friendly and sustainable shoes will most likely not be available until Spring 2021, but until then customers can look at other shoes Adidas has available.

North Face

While most brands and companies are launching new, sustainable clothing designs that will leave a lower carbon footprint, the North Face clothing brand is looking to make Earth Day a national holiday. On April 16, 2019, North Face released a petition to have a designated day to explore nature. According to CBS News, over 44,000 people have signed the petition and companies like S’well and National Geographic have also signed on as co-sponsors. “When people take time to appreciate Earth, they feel more connected to it and are more likely to protect it,” the North Face petition states on Change.org. “That’s why we are taking a stand and committing that on Earth Day we will explore and connect with our surroundings.”

There are so many options to take part in various Earth Day initiatives, even if it’s as simple as not using plastic straws or recycling an old pair of jeans for a good cause. Brands and companies want to show that people can make a change when they start helping their environment.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior double majoring in Media/Communications Studies and Editing, Writing, and Media at Florida State. I'm passionate about editing and have an unconditional love for books and fictional characters. I'm currently serving as the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at FSU chapter.
Her Campus at Florida State University.