A Shift in Sports: From Football to Basketball

The end of football season is like the end of the holiday season and our beloved winter break. It signifies the ending of tailgating all day Saturday, standing in the student section at Doak for hours on end (or maybe just a few minutes for some) and your arm becoming sore after doing the Seminole chop about a hundred times. Our football season came to such an abrupt stop that I don’t think most of us were ready to let it go quite yet. Or maybe we are ready to get that bitter taste out of our mouths as fast as we can and start looking forward to next season.

But there is so much more to look forward to within our Seminole athletics than just next football season.

I love football just as much as everybody else, but there is a new found sporting love of mine and its name is College Basketball. And if you haven’t checked out both our Men’s and Women’s basketball teams here, then you are missing out big time.

First of all, if you haven’t even been to our new and improved (improvements also still being made) Donald L. Tucker Civic Center you must go ASAP. The first time I walked into the stadium I was dazzled by the all garnet seats (yes they are all matching now!), huge screens at center court with our FSU logo underneath, and of course that shiny new court. It felt like a home for an elite basketball team and that is exactly what it is becoming.

More important than all of the wonderful improvements that have been made is what is happening on the basketball court.

The Florida State Men’s Basketball team is full of some fresh talent along with some skilled veterans. The team is solid and as you watch the games, they definitely put on a show for the fans. You can tell that this team is one unit that supports each other because whenever a fellow player makes a sweet dunk or three-pointer the bench goes wild (which is personally my favorite part). The atmosphere within the Civic Center during a Men’s Basketball game is exciting and it could be even better if more of us students came out to support them. I bet you did not know that our FSU Men’s Basketball is 8-3 at home according to Seminoles.com. That should encourage you to come out to watch at least one of their upcoming games. Their upcoming home schedule should pack the student section with big games including Miami (Feb 1st) and Duke (Feb 9th).

And don’t even get me started on our Florida State Women’s Basketball team! They are the bomb.com! This team is comprised of a group of badass, talented, driven women who sure as hell know how to play some basketball. It is truly inspiring as a woman to see them go out onto that court with such confidence and just completely dominate. Such amazing women should only inspire our fellow student body. Each time they step foot on that court they put on a show and it amazes me how well they do it. Our FSU Women’s Basketball is ranked 17th in the country. Our Women’s Basketball team is undefeated (9-0) at home according to Seminoles.com and 18-2 overall this season. They recently just stunned #4 ranked Louisville with a win as well. More student fans would only be an addition to a great scene inside the Civic Center during these games. Their upcoming home basketball schedule is jam packed with great games including Syracuse (Feb 2nd) and Miami (Feb 8th). 

Source: Seminoles.com

So, within the next few weeks when you are sitting around watching Netflix or debating on what to do, come out to watch your Men’s and Women’s Basketball team kick some major booty. You will not be disappointed, that’s a promise. 

Miranda is a Senior at FSU pursuing a degree in Sports Management. Her interests mainly include sports, sports, and more sports although she was never the athlete (oops). Her love for sports balances out her girly ways. She can sit down and cheer on her favorite New York teams with just as much passion as buying a new top (on sale of course). She is absolutely obsessed with her puggle, scrolling Twitter, and sleeping in. She hopes to rule the sports world someday, own a baby elephant, live on the beach, and have a big family. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.