The Netflix series Sex Education is a show I never knew I needed until I started watching it. The show follows the trials and tribulations of British teens in high school as they try to navigate their teenage years and the certain practices that come with it. The protagonist is Otis, a socially awkward high schooler with a mother that is a sex therapist. Having grown up around her, he has somewhat become very knowledgeable about sex despite not having much experience himself. His classmate Maeve teams up with him to give advice to his fellow classmates about the tricky issues surrounding sex for money. This, of course, leads to some sticky situations! Not only are the characters and character development incredible, but the show also includes so many important messages and lessons. Here are some of my favorites.

Sex Education does an amazing job of displaying various sexualities and preferences. With a lot of characters being a part of the LGBTQ+ community, many watchers will be able to identify with a character on screen. The show also does a great job of highlighting the confusion and fear many may feel about their sexualities. One of the characters seems to reject this aspect of his life but eventually comes to accept himself for who he is. This is extremely important for people to see as it is never easy attempting to accept yourself in a society where many try to tell you otherwise.

Hugging figures
Photo by Marco Bianchetti on Unsplash

Furthermore, the show also demonstrates a realistic approach to sex. So many teen shows have sex seem like its everything to look forward to or you’ll likely have an amazing first time. However, this show demonstrates how teenagers vary in their level of sexual maturity and experience. It also demonstrates that it’s okay to be a virgin, and there’s nothing wrong with being at a different sexual maturity than your peers. It brings a refreshing new light to the hookup culture constantly portrayed on the screen.

(trigger warning) The show even tackles the heavy issues of sexual assault. One of the characters has an experience that she belittles at first. She doesn’t even want to go to the police. It seems as if she is in denial that she was violated. We eventually see her come to terms with her experience and take back her life after being affected by what occurred. Sex Education demonstrates through this plot development that any experience, even if you consider it small, warrants you the right to be upset. We have a right to our bodies, and it is valid to feel like you were violated when someone makes you feel as if your body isn’t your own. Sex Education’s executive producer Jaime Campbell mentioned in an interview with Glamour that she thinks “all women go through some form of micro sexual aggression. We’re often trained to think that’s just normal, that we have to grin and bear it.” She also explains that “unless it is rape, [many of us] feel like we can’t really talk about it or that we have to take it in our stride and even laugh about it.” I think it’s amazing that the show was able to portray this societal norm to belittle potentially traumatizing experiences because we assume it’s normal. The scene where Aimee comes to terms with what occurred and lets out her anger is an extremely powerful scene that brought me to tears and left me applauding the show’s creators.

The show’s important messages do not end there, but you’ll just have to watch it to learn about the rest. With such powerful messages and lessons, Sex Education is a show I think everyone should watch. If the details I gave above weren’t enough to make you watch it, maybe a 94 percent on Rotten Tomatoes will! You can watch Sex Education on Netflix. Season two came out in Jan. and season three is speculated to come out in 2021. I will be anxiously awaiting the next installment and, hopefully, you’ll join me in the wait!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

Graciela is a senior at FSU currently majoring in behavioral neuroscience. She is striving to become a forensic pathologist after completing medical school in the future. She loves to read and watch movies in her free time!
Her Campus at Florida State University.