Sew Sorority: Transforming T-Shirts to Quilts

Calling all Collegiettes! We have just discovered the one-stop shop for the perfect sentimental gift: Sew Sorority. This fairly new online website is geared toward college women, creating their own personal, handmade quilts. Instead of folding your old t-shirts and storing them in the back of your dresser drawer, where you will likely never see them again, you can put them to good use! The owner, Jeanette Bravo, will use them to personally stitch together a quilt (with the details of your choice).

Even if you aren’t affiliated with a sorority or fraternity, there’s no need to worry! You can still enjoy this one-of-a-kind business, using your old college or high-school t-shirts. After sending in your shirts, Jeanette will assist you in designing the perfect quilt. She will help you choose the size, fabric, and potential arrangements. This way you can be sure that you will love the quilt she makes. And if you aren’t very creative and have no clue what to do, she will help pick aesthetically pleasing colors and send you pictures of different fabrics to choose from. Before everything is put together, Jeanette sends you a picture of what the final product will look like, guaranteeing your satisfaction.

Jeanette, a Gamma Phi Beta alum, founded the company in May 2014. After borrowing a friend’s sewing machine to add lace to her shorts, one of her sisters requested that she make her a quilt to put together her favorite Gamma Phi memories. Jeanette bought a machine for herself and accepted the challenge. She posted pictures of the final product (only two days later!) online, and the idea quickly became a hit. She got more and more requests from friends to make a quilt for themselves, and every time she made a new one she would post pictures of the products on her social media accounts. From there, Sew Sorority was born. The company has reached a multitude of people across the country and even around the world.

Sew Sorority prides itself on being meticulous when creating your perfect quilt. Their craftsmanship and materials are two of the main tools that help them create a product that will preserve your memories for a lifetime. These gems are the perfect gift to give your friends, parents, or yourself. There is no better use for your old t-shirts than this!

The store is based in Phoenix, Arizona, but you can access it from the comfort of your very own bedroom. Their website features pictures of previously made quilts and feedback from very pleased customers! You can order your quilt online at any time, and for your convenience, you can pay with a check or through PayPal. Another plus for Collegiettes is that the quilts are machine-washable so you don’t have to worry about them getting ruined in the wash.

To find out more about Sew Sorority and how to make your own perfect quilt follow the company on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! You can also email them at SewSorority@gmail.com. Happy shopping, Collegiettes!

Megan is a freshman at Florida State University studying Retail Merchandising. She is originally from Miami, FL, but dreams of living in New York. In her spare time she enjoys writing, blogging, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns, and all things fashion. Twitter: meganmaguire_ Instagram: meggmaguiree
Her Campus at Florida State University.