Seven Must-Have Staples from Trader Joe’s

If you’ve been living in Tallahassee for at least a few months and have visited the Publix on Ocala, then you’re like me and you’re in need of a grocery store upgrade. Trader Joe does not only have some of the best prices and a typically low crowd but also the array of products and the quality of food that easily surpasses any other store.

Cookie Butter

First and foremost, if you’ve never tried TJ’s “Speculoos Cookie Butter,” you have no idea what true love tastes like. TJ’s cookie butter is famous and rightfully so because you can pair it with crackers, pancakes, pretzels, or just use the good ole’ fashioned spoon method. Although a little pricey, you definitely get the bang for your buck.

Courtesy: Trader Joe’s

Chips and Dip

Chips and dip are easily one of my most dangerous, yet favorite snacks as a college student. TJ’s has some of the best combos you could ask for and ones that you can’t miss out on. The first dip in the lineup is the sour cream spinach dip, which pairs perfectly with pita bite crackers. This spinach dip is literally so mouthwatering that after getting home from our most recent shopping trip, my roommate and I had to stop ourselves from finishing the whole tub in one sitting. This stuff is seriously the real deal.

Another dip, for my fellow Greek food fanatics, is TJ’s avocado tzatziki dip. Just as mouthwatering and easily surpassing any name brand dips you’ll find at Publix or Walmart, this dip is a must-have. I paired this tzatziki dip with the previously mentioned, and well-loved, pita bite crackers for a salty and savory pair that makes it hard to stop!

Pancakes

TJ’s buttermilk pancake mix is a product you will always be able to find in my house because they are so tasty and only require eggs and water, all for the price of 2 dollars! You will never have to work hard for a yummy and quick stack of hotcakes again.

Courtesy: Refinery29

Banana Bread

If you’re anything like me and buy a bundle of bananas with the idea that you’ll be a health queen and then completely forget about them within the week, then you’ll love this next product as much as me. TJ’s has a banana bread mix that is so simple to make and creates such a delicious breakfast or snack bread within forty minutes. Also, bananas at Trader Joe’s are only 19 cents per banana, so there really is no reason not to get these two things!

Courtesy: Amazon

Cheddar Puffs

Healthy and tasty snack foods are must-haves for college students who are constantly on the go, which is why TJ’s “World’s Puffiest White Cheddar Corn Puffs” should be one of the first you throw in your cart. These cheddar bites are an inexpensive and healthy dupe for the brands you’ll find elsewhere and a bag full of deliciousness that will surely be empty within the first few days of buying it.

Courtesy: Amazon

Pre-Made Foods

TJ’s has the best pre-made frozen and refrigerated products that are the perfect, quick-fix for college students, while still remaining healthy and certainly better than a fast food meal.

One of my favorites is TJ’s “Verde Chicken Enchiladas.” One box comes with two pairs of refrigerated, pre-cooked white chicken enchiladas with Monterey jack and cotija cheese. The prep time for these delicious enchiladas is only a few minutes and if you pair them with some homemade rice, you’ll have a healthier and less pricey substitution in comparison to eating out at Chuy’s or Chili’s for the night.

If you’re balling on a budget and trying to limit the times you order Chinese takeout, TJ’s mandarin orange chicken is an absolute must-have. As another quick-fix, this product is so delicious that you’ll want to buy two or three bags at a time. This is a favorite among all TJ regulars.

Another pre-made, refrigerated product is “Sweet Italian sausage and 4-cheese Ravioli.” This dish is perfect for a quick dinner or if you dress it up with a fifth cheese on top and TJ’s yummy tomato basil marina sauce, you have a “boujee,” in-house date night prepped.

Courtesy: Muscle and Fitness

Pasta

My two favorite frozen pasta dishes from TJ’s are the “Farfalle” with four kinds of cheese and spinach and the “Reduced Guilt Baked Ziti”. Both only take a few minutes to cook but are so deliciously healthy that, with the label ringing true, you won’t feel any guilt delving into a pasta dish for the third or fourth night in a row.

TJ’s is a go-to supermarket and one that can satisfy the needs of every college student. The prices are low, the food is delicious, and as opposed to the Publix on Ocala, you won’t be fighting for parking or avoiding people from your English class.

Anneliese is a junior at Florida State, majoring in Humanities and pursuing a career in Public Relations. Favorite drink: Iced Caramel Macchiato. Favorite Bachelor: Colton. On campus, you'll probably find her at Marching Chiefs Field or reloading her Starbucks card in Stroz.
Her Campus at Florida State University.